SVO

Meow
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Smithville/Austin, Tx
Year, Model & Trim Level
08' Suzuki SX4
Well I got my chance to spend some time with an 04' Mach 1 this weekend, and it was a very pleasureable experience.

First off this car is in your face volume with it's "Scream'n Yellow" exterior, there is no place for you to drive undetected by anyone.

Attachments

• pams car.jpg
    pams car.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 289

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

As you open the door to slip into the ****pit you notice a very retro look to the interior as if you where stepping back the the late 60's, the seats are super comfortable, you can drive long distances with these beauties.

Attachments

• MVC-010F.jpg
    MVC-010F.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 261

The dash lay out is typical SN95 Mustang but with a few added details that set it apart from being anything other than a Mach 1.

Attachments

• interior.jpg
    interior.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 268

As you turn the key and light off the 32 valve DOHC 4.6, you hear a ever slight rumble as the stock exhaust does a fantastic job of keeping the power plant quiet.

The engine just purrs with out giving a hint that it's even running, so smooth, even as you roll through the rpms it never once get choppy or vibrates as it effortlessly swings that tachometer.

Attachments

• engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 280

Rolling down the road you will notice that everyone is breaking thier necks to see it hustling up the asphault, as you make your way to your destination.

The allure catchs people off guard, and makes them think is going faster than it really is, everyone thinks your a race car driver, just add numbers on the side.

Attachments

• badass.jpg
    badass.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 274

As you tool around the car shifts ever so softly, oh did I forget to mention that this was an automatic, oh joy you say, but let me tell you Ford did thier home work on this one, no longer does it feel like a "Slush Box" of days of yor.

This puppy is very responsive and you can even tip in to the throttle at highway speeds and easly incrrease speed without looking like your having to hammer on it and make it down shift.

Road noise and engine noise are almost nonexistant or minimal, by sports car standards.

This feels more of a refind gentelman's car, or even a "lady's hot rod" as is the case here.

Soft supple ride yet always feeling poised ready to take on some curves, very forgiving and yet corruptible at the same time.

Brakes feel really nice with great modulation and feel for hauling the vehicle down to posted speed limits in a drop of a hat.

Attachments

• nice.jpg
    nice.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 257

As you might susspect, if you take things into your own hands the manner of the car changes a bit, by simply leaving it in drive and snapping the throttle open and letting it run through the gears by it's self, it gives you a smart little bump when it shifts, but grab a hold of the shifter and manually row through the gears, shifting at about 5500-5700 rpms nets a sharp positive shift and a violent contortion of the rear tires spinning for approxmatly 3-4 feet sending the back end off to one side.

Pulling hard to about 4000rpms the IMRC (secondary intake runners) open up and another kick in the pants of torque and horse power that give you a great seat in the pants feeling all the way to the red line.

This is the view a few Mustang GT's got this weekend along with a Chevy SS pick-up, not like there that fast anyways.

Attachments

• MVC-006F.jpg
    MVC-006F.jpg
    52.7 KB · Views: 283

The only complaint I had with the car is that the Mach 1000 stereo does need the optional subs in the trunk, good sound other wise, and the steering at low speeds (like in a parking lot) tends to get extremely tight and feels like it's binding up, mabey some different valving in the powersteering rack would change that.

But at speed she's smooth and stable at what ever speed your going, not to mention that large shaker hood scoop sticking out of the hood and right there in your face looking out the windshield.

Attachments

• hood.jpg
    hood.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 252

:)

Attachments

• DSC01314.jpg
    DSC01314.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 260

:bounce:

Attachments

• MVC-003F.jpg
    MVC-003F.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 265

i want one... those are such nice cars. Now all i need is like $50,000 Canadian and I will be set.

Really good article as always!! :thumbsup:

SVO
do you work for Ford?:) nice writeup, drove an 04 cobra last week, may dump my ST

Hey SVO, ain't it a blast to drive??? :burnout: :D :chug:

I can attest to everything SVO is saying, except I have the 5 speed manual tranny. The manual tranny has a narrow gate and is fairly easy to shift. The second-third upshift takes a little getting used to before you can do it cleanly. The power in 2nd and 3rd gear is unbelieveable for a car that has such a smooth motor. It pulls strongly all the way to red line from about 2500 rpm with a serious boost at 4k as SVO said. In second, if the road isn't completely dry and dirt free, the rear end will break free just by dropping the throttle.

I do have two complaints about the car. First is the factory tire selection. The 245-45ZR17 Goodyear Eagles just don't have enough grip to fully utilize the horsepower the car develops. I'm switching to F1's once these are burned off. Second is the traction control just doesn't work well. It's too jerky and shuts down the power too long before applying power again. I run with mine off all the time.

One comment about the sound system. The stock system in the Mach is the Mach 460, not the Mach 1000 (not sure why the one you drove had the 1000), and it is pretty well matched to the speakers and subs.

Also don't know what was up with your steering. Mine is fine in parking lots and at low speeds.

The two most impressive things about the Mach??

Outrageous acceleration for a stock production vehicle.

Outrageous braking power for a stock production vehicle.

I LOVE MY MACH!!
:burnout: :burnout:

p.s. Spindlecone, for the difference in performance vs. difference in price, I'd go with the Mach over the Cobra (unless you want a convertible). IMHO, it's a lot better value, and the Mach is actually a tad quicker off the line. Cobra will catch it on the back end though.

Nope sorry I don't work for Ford, but something pretty darn close to it though, so I have access to several different Ford performance vehicles at all times, why buy new? I just borrow, lol.

As for the Cobra, it's a really nice vehicle too, and especially with all the creature comforts with all that power, BUT, belive it or not this car was purchaced, buy trading in the 03' Cobra ;)
This is his wife's car, if you remember the "Playing Hookie" thread I posted that was the replacement car for the 03' Cobra which was the 2000 Cobra R.

And belive it or not, also, I would rather have this car that any of the other 2 just mentioned.

Of course mine would have to be white, although the Orange has a warped place in my heart.

As for the tires I whole heartly agree with you there, the side walls curl horribly when pushed hard in the corners, lots of understeer, some can be corrected with F1's and most of it with a larger sway bar in back will make the turn-in much better and allow you to drive it through the corners with the throttle (trailing throttle over steer), but other than a few things, this car is a great bang for the buck!

Pretty docile when putted around and vicious when stepped on.

And the brakes, well I just hope you have your seat belt on for when I shower down on them puppys, or your teeth will be chiclettes on the dash!

Damn I hated to give the keys back today! :(

Thanx, Pam I love your baby! (Mach 1)

P.S. the traction control does take too much timing out and holds it out for too long of a time, but remember Ralph Nader, we must be safe, so for our sake just turn it off and enjoy the tire frying! :burnout:

Thanx all for the kind words on the artical, I have been pretty sick for the past few days, and I wanted to go enjoy it some before I had to give it up, so I actually thought the write up was a little cheesy but I'm glad you all got the jist, hell at least enjoy the pics, lol.

Back