04 4.0l catalytic converter suggestions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 4.0l catalytic converter suggestions

Hionmtn

Reaction score
City, State
Radford Va
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 explorer Eddie
I have to replace bank 1 cat on 04 4.0l, 203,000miles. It seems that all my explorer questions lead me here, and with a little searching and investigating, i have found my answers. So just seeing what everybody says about what cat i should get. Will any decent universal cat get me running right? I am not trying to replace the y-pipe and doing all that. Just a cut and weld. I want that p0420 code gone. Virginia explorer with no emmision test. Would the 420 code stay away and not make me run rich if that pesky cat got poked in the cat hole?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'm not sure about the 4.0, but my mechanic said OEM cats are no longer made for the 4.6
Worse, he said the aftermarkets sometimes give a faulty cat code code, even when new!

I've wondered this too. Everyone is scared to ask the question, which I understand. But really, are there secret EPA agents monitoring these forums ready to swoop in and arrest people whom say they are going to remove their cats?
If a person knocked all of the guts out of their cats, would it throw any codes? I'm thinking that a person should get better performance and mileage, right? I understand that if state or local policies change and you latter have to pass emission tests, then you will have some expenses, but it's a risk for each person to weigh out.

If a person knocked all of the guts out of their cats, would it throw any codes?

Yes it will. There are 4 O2 sensors. One before and after each front CAT. They monitor the in vs out on them to monitor their functionality. The 3rd CAT in the middle is unmonitored though and you can get rid of that one without throwing any codes.

But really, are there secret EPA agents monitoring these forums ready to swoop in and arrest people whom say they are going to remove their cats?

Just on the diesel forums looking for shops that are doing illegal DPF deletes...

Since u have no smog ...They sell little adapter that plugs into the downstream 02 bung and then u plug 02 into that they r like 20 bucks and come with mini catylist material also if u plug all the holes but 1 on the 02 sensor itself should most likely go away. Downstream 02s only of coarse

Somebody asked if it will code without a cat....yes p0420

Back