• Register Today It's free!

04 4.6l v8 low oil pressure

Bostonewbie

Reaction score
City, State
Near Boston
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ford explorer limited
hello folks, I've run into an issue with my 04 limited with 218,000 miles on it. It had an engine swap at 200k with a 90k motor do to an oil issue.

The oil pressure gauge jumped up and down as the engine warmed up,

It reached operating temperature and the low oil high temp light came on as I noticed a tap and clack from the top of the motor.

Two minutes into it all symptoms cleared and I drove into work.

When I returned to the car the same order of events occurred , intermittent but there was no loss of power or greater knock from the engine..... ....
Until I was on the highway coasting in traffic and the engine stalled out. I was able to start it up twice more while rolling. The cluster lit up and she stalled again I rolled into a breakdown lane and towed it home.

Any advice and direction is appriciated. I've been triing to find a you tube video but have not pinned down 04 4.6l v8 specifically.
Thanks again , Joe.

I mean if you heard those bad sounds from the top end of the motor, you probably should've parked the thing. Hopefully you didn't kill the engine.

hello folks, I've run into an issue with my 04 limited with 218,000 miles on it. It had an engine swap at 200k with a 90k motor do to an oil issue.

The oil pressure gauge jumped up and down as the engine warmed up,

It reached operating temperature and the low oil high temp light came on as I noticed a tap and clack from the top of the motor.

Two minutes into it all symptoms cleared and I drove into work.

When I returned to the car the same order of events occurred , intermittent but there was no loss of power or greater knock from the engine..... ....
Until I was on the highway coasting in traffic and the engine stalled out. I was able to start it up twice more while rolling. The cluster lit up and she stalled again I rolled into a breakdown lane and towed it home.

Any advice and direction is appriciated. I've been triing to find a you tube video but have not pinned down 04 4.6l v8 specifically.
Thanks again , Joe.
So you've had two motors with oil problems? And you occasionally actually change oil, use the correct grade, make sure you have oil in it, use a quality filter, etc? Just wondering cause I detect a pattern developing.

Back