• Register Today It's free!

04 Explore 4.0 Trans Help

Mackus84

Reaction score
City, State
Lakeland, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2015 Explorer XLT
I was Driving to work today, normal speed, not towing, nothing out of the ordinary. All of the sudden out of the blue, engine revs and i have no "Go"!!! No funny noises, no previous slipping. Nothing. Just no go at all. Park and what feels like neutral and thats it. Doesnt move at all in any gear. Runs great. No check engine lights, nothing. Just doesnt move. Does like it should in park and doesnt move. Everything else acts like neutral. Need yalls help!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was Driving to work today, normal speed, not towing, nothing out of the ordinary. All of the sudden out of the blue, engine revs and i have no "Go"!!! No funny noises, no previous slipping. Nothing. Just no go at all. Park and what feels like neutral and thats it. Doesnt move at all in any gear. Runs great. No check engine lights, nothing. Just doesnt move. Does like it should in park and doesnt move. Everything else acts like neutral. Need yalls help!!!

You have tried D, 3, 2, and 1 with all giving the same result? Check for trouble codes, first. Unlikely, but a major leak draining out transmission fluid, will cause your symptoms. No oil underneath? Hydraulics: oil pump relief valve stuck open, inadequate oil pressure to operate transmission, would cause a noiseless "quit". Electronics: Pressure Control Solenoid failure, but computer likely would reveal that via code(s). Just a few thoughts. imp

Yes, have tried ALL selections. And have not seen any leaks previously or currently. My brother is a Ford Tech and without looking at it yet he suggested the transmission pump

My first thought is the pump failed, you could remove a cooler line and start it up, if no fluid flow the pump is not working.

My first thought is the pump failed, you could remove a cooler line and start it up, if no fluid flow the pump is not working.

James, you are the transmission guy! I am only a novice, learned my trade on pre-FMX transmissions. Just wondering how does the pump often fail: broken parts? Thanks for being the trans guy here! imp

I was wondering if the Explorer transmissions have a pressure port like the A4OD to measure the pump pressure but imp is on the case, so there is no need for me here.

James, you are the transmission guy! I am only a novice, learned my trade on pre-FMX transmissions. Just wondering how does the pump often fail: broken parts? Thanks for being the trans guy here! imp

I see the inner pump gear breaking into a few pieces, not really sure why other than maybe wear in the gear where is meets the converter hub.

Back