• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer brakes smoking

daisy0504

Reaction score
City, State
cataula ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Ranger 4x4 Super Cab
Just did the brakes on my ex. Well after driving 3 miles the right rear is smoking. You could smell the pads burning and the rotor was red hot. Has anyone had this problem before. Im going to replace the caliper new pads and a rotor. Any other thoughts. Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably wasn't put back on correctly and theres some major rubbing. It could also be that they're brand new and ur "breaking them in", but that usually happens within the first few miles of drive.

Sounds like a sticking caliper, I had one on another truck that almost caught fire (lots of smoke coming from the wheel well).

Mike

parking brake pads maybe come off? or went on wrong?
Might want to double check everything . . .
check the caliper bolts too. are you able to push the pads back?

It had done this once before with the stock pads but sorted itself out quickly. I could only smell the pad burning no smoke. Im just wondering if it could only be in the caliper and not something in the abs. The pads on that side were noticably wore more than the other.

Check if rotors are noticably different in temp from one side to other. Check for bluish tinge to rotor. If its 1 sided, its the caliper sticking / failed.

Unlikely both calipers would fail simultaneously.

Read my uber-post on brake troubles (just posted it)

If both wheels are hot / blue, theres something wrong in the brake line or upstream (residual pressure in MC or elsewhere, im not enough of an expert to help with that).

I've had two calipers fail on my 03 explorer (1 back, 1 front), both occurred close after a brake change. I believe the pistons extend to far if you let the pads wear too low and dont work properly when pushed back in.

one thing i noticed last time i did mine, was the 'ears' of the pad sometime didnt sit in the shims or slippers correctly - sliver looking thing that goes between the pads and hub. These 'ears' of the pad have to ride in the grove, mine would slip off and bind next to the pad if i wasn't careful putting it back together. So something to check if you haven't.

Replaced caliper all is well now. Thanks.

Sounds right. In my experience, sometimes, when the pads get really low and you've burned through them slowly (or a vehicle sits a lot), the exposed caliper piston gets enough corrosion that it just won't behave properly after it's reseated for the new pads.

Mike

Back