'04 Explorer: changed EGR valve, now it won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'04 Explorer: changed EGR valve, now it won't start.

joedh12

Reaction score
City, State
Lawton, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer
I recently change the EGR module in my 04 Explorer because the SES light came on and the trouble code said the EGR was ineffective (can't remember code number). It wasn't running bad before the swap but after I replaced it with a new one it started idling rough and would stall out at stop lights. I took it to autozone where they told me it threw a few trouble codes. p0190 (Fuel Rail Pressure Sensor fail), one for EGR inefficient flow, one for DPFE fail, and I think they said one or two for O2 sensors but they didn't give me the print out for that one. Autozone said they believe the p0190 code was causing all other codes to come up. My question is what the heck is wrong with it. It was fine before I replaced the EGR valve, after wards it ran horrible (rough idle, stalling at lights and when shifting from R to D) and the next day it wouldn't even start, and hasn't started since.

I've tried putting the old valve back on, unplugging the EGR valve, and unplugging the MAF sensor. When I try to start it, it will turn over but it's not firing, every once in a while it'll act like it's going to but it doesn't. I checked the plug wires to make sure they're sparking and I can hear the fuel pump turn on when I turn the key.

Did you pull out one of the vacuum lines when you did the swap? It will run fine without your EGR, so it has to be something else you did.

Take your EGR off and plug the holes in the pipe and upper plenum, including the one vacuum line on top. Unplug your DPFE sensor and EGR solenoid then go from there and just ignore the p0406 and (P0486?)codes you'll get until you figure out what the problem is.

It seems like a vacuum leak to me... if you still cant pin point it spray starting fluid or brake cleaner around the back of the motor where the vacuum lines are and if it revs up u know somewhat where it is.

Back