04 Explorer - Cleaned battery cables now stuck in safe mode and codes p2104 p2112 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer - Cleaned battery cables now stuck in safe mode and codes p2104 p2112

19mustang67

Reaction score
City, State
Capitola
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.0L
I happened to notice that my battery cables were pretty crusty on my 2004 Explorer with the 4.0 motor. I pulled them off to clean them today. I regret it. The truck was running great but now it will start but barely run at all. The wrench light is on so it seems to be in safe mode? I removed the negative cable and let it sit for 1/2 hour and it still does the same thing. I used my code reader and have codes p2104 and p2112. I saw another post where someone says to clear the PCM's memory by using jumper wires negative to positive. Here is a video. Would that help? I have cleared the codes with my reader already but it made no difference. Should I do it like in the video? What else can I do? Very frustrating to be able to mess up a perfectly good running vehicle just by cleaning the cables!! Thank you for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

P2104P2112.png

I would try the jumper reset.

Also I just thought I'd mention, just in case you are "one of those (usually old) people", do not touch the accelerator pedal while starting the vehicle.

Thanks for the reply. Are there any risks if I do the jumper reset? That fully erases the computers understanding of the way the vehicle behaves? Assuming it works, I would then need to drive the vehicle so it can relearn the car right? I guess that is explained pretty well in the video...

What happens if you touch the accelerator padle while starting?

The gas pedal seems to be disabled. It does not rev the engine when pushed down. I guess that is how fail safe mode works? Seems crazy to me! It runs a little when started and then dies. Just to clarify, the truck ran great with no codes or issues at all until I removed the battery cables for about 10 minutes to clean them. --- I'm realizing now that you may be asking Techguru about the pedal? I will leave my response anyhow.

What happens if you touch the accelerator padle while starting?

Had a family member with a 2002 F150 that always took 45 seconds to get it started but it always started right away for me. Come to find out they were pumping the pedal while trying to start it.

Well the the jumper reset did not make any difference. I followed the instructions as in the video. I tuned the key on and waited 10 seconds a couple times. Started the truck and same thing. In fail safe mode! What do I need to do here? Should I go about cleaning the throttle body? Ahhhh what a mess! Oh and I am not touching the pedal when starting.

I did the the jumper reset at least 5 or 6 times and tried various things like turning the key on and waiting 60 seconds, clearing the codes with my obd reader, turning on AC, pressing the pedal etc. etc. Finally on what I swear was my last attempt before removing and cleaning the throttle body it fired right up with no issues at all just like before. I took it for a decent drive and no problems. I did clear the codes with my reader right before starting it when it decided to work but I think it may have just fixed itself after a while? Hopefully I will be good now as there really was nothing wrong with the truck prior to removing the cables. What an ordeal. Someone at Ford should be hunted down and smacked for this one!

I think you have a gremlin that decided to show up after you did the cables. I had an isolation switch on my negative battery lead that I regularly disconnected since my vehicle would frequently go weeks without been used. Never had an issue.

I had an isolation switch on my negative battery lead that I regularly disconnected since my vehicle would frequently go weeks without been used. Never had an issue.

Meh. Just use a battery maintainer, that way it won't have to relearn the idle and shift points. Need one anyway even with it disconnected in your winters there.

Back