• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer Defrost not working

chris44001

Reaction score
City, State
Amherst, OH
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Sport
All of a sudden, there is no air flow from the main window defroster. When I turn the defroster on, air blows out the regular vents. I've seen posts related to air only blowing out of the defrost vents, but I have the opposite problem. Any thoughts?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can you switch between floor and panel vents?

Yes....all seem to work but the defrost. Usually I can hear a noise like a damper(if that is what they are called) closing.....but I don't hear that.

The default position for the defrost door (damper) if vacuum control is lost is for the door open. Your's must be stuck closed for some reason. Since you can still move the panel and floor doors your vacuum system must be good. The vacuum motor for the defrost door is located on the left (driver's) side of the plenum box up near the top. It will be a beech to get to, but maybe you can get a finger up there to try and coax the door open and get it unstuck. The vacuum motor that moves that door could also be stuck or have somehow come disconnected from the door hinge pin.

Unfortunately the repair manual says the whole dash has to come out to repair the defrost door/vacuum motor. I don't know if it could be done without pulling the dash. So a repair shop will want $$$ for this job.

I can send you some stuff that will help you figure out where the vacuum motor is located and what it looks like. PM me with an email address if you want it. I am very busy today however and may not get back to you until tomorrow. Good luck.

Old thread,

I think I am fixing to battle the same issue, it will blow out the main face vents but won't go to defrost. Nice thing to figure out when it is iced up here bad!

So the vacuum actuator is on the passenger side? can you see it at all? I am hoping I can just push it back to defrost and leave it for a while.

Back