04 Explorer not starting dash lights gauges flicker | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer not starting dash lights gauges flicker

Jim L.

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer 4.3L V6
Hello,
I've got this issue happening intermittently with my stock 04 explorer xlt v6. Put the key in and turn and get nothing but flickering dash lights and gauges MOST of the time. On 2 other recent occasions it also did the following: First time it was locked in park for awhile when I was just going to push it out of the way, but I tried it a few minutes later and it started. Second time it was turning over and starting up like normal and then completely shut down in the middle of that and when I went to restart it just flickered at me.

I have double checked posts to make sure they are tight and clean. Battery is older, but topped it off and still have issues.

Any ideas? Hope it's not a PCM going out. The check engine light has been on for the past two years that I've owned it but that has to do with the shift solenoid into 3rd gear from what I understand.

Any help would be great!

i would check the starter wires on the starter first then get the codes read at auto zone or your local parts store..

Gauge flicker is usually associated with an aged battery not holding charge. You say its old, it's gonna need replacing sooner rather than later, do that first.

Also, you dont sound certain on the cause of your CEL. That's likely unrelated but like 07gtman said get those codes read and find out for sure what your dealing with there.

Back