04 Explorer passenger side mirror stopped working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer passenger side mirror stopped working

Dibs

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer Limited
My 04 Explorer's passenger side mirror stopped working the other day. This is what I have done so far:

-Ordered new mirror. Plugged in. Puddle light comes on. Power adjustment does not work
-Ordered new switch. Nothing
-Confirmed new mirror works by plugging into passenger side.
-voltage tested all wires on passenger side. Got 12v on multiple wires when manipulating the switch. One wire had continuous 12v. Assuming this is for the puddle light as I had just opened the door.
-voltage tested all wires on driver side. Same results. Mirror works fine on this side
-inspected door wire harness boots and wires for breaks. Nothing

Any ideas?

Sounds like you might have one or more broken wires in the cable bundle located between your driver side door and the frame. Very common problem on Explorers. Plenty of info online. I've had the problem on my '02 and '03 between around 150k-180k miles.

Sounds like you might have one or more broken wires in the cable bundle located between your driver side door and the frame. Very common problem on Explorers. Plenty of info online. I've had the problem on my '02 and '03 between around 150k-180k miles.

Thanks MotoDan....that was it! Broken yellow wire controlled the passenger mirror. Also found a broken brown and orange wire for the memory seats was broken.

MotoDan, I have the same problem as your answer fixed for the man who posted. I'm ready to look into the cable bundle - but first would appreciate you confirming just where to look. Is it in the "flexible pipe" between the driver door and frame (section between A-Pillar and door sill)?

Back