04 Explorer (Phase II) retain RSE (dvd player) - update | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer (Phase II) retain RSE (dvd player) - update

jackofsome

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 X-limited
Found a bunch of info on this forum (including a wiring diagram/pinout). The problem is that if you have a RSE, the head unit in my Explorer sends Canbus Protocol signals to the RSE that you need to keep it on. When I simply jumped a 12v across to the DVD harness, it would power on, then kick off.

No manufacturer that I could find makes a plug/play harness to accomodate keeping the RSE for an 04. I even ordered a PAC FORDAH for an 06, and while the plugs fit, the pinout was different and even with a correct pinout, the canbus signals didn't cut it. I didn't really want to have to stash a bigass double din head unit somewhere, and running wires would have been a pain. So this is what I ended up with.

What I ended up doing was disassembling my stock audiophile unit, and removing just the motherboard, and mounting that behind the glove box, and running a 12v(always on), ground, and a 12v (ignition) jumper across to the stock motherboard, then plugged in the OEM dvd harness to it, and spliced the audio outputs from the DVD player to a pair of RCA cables to my new head unit. Works like a charm.

Hope this helps somebody in the future.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great! I would like to do this to my '05. Have you any photos you could post? Thanks for the info.

Nice idea. For me, this would mean finding an Ex at the yard with the stereo still in it. Which usually doesn't happen.

I didn't take any pics unfortunately, and I'm tired of tearing apart the truck at this point.

It's pretty self explanatory. If you get a set of small torx screwdrivers you can take apart the stock head unit. The motherboard is attached to the case with a set of torx screws which have had the holes filled in with solder. I just dremeled of the tabs connecting it to the case. Took a few minutes to disassemble the stock unit. You can also just dremel a slot in the screws and use a flathead to remove them. It's pretty easy.

I looked up the wiring diagram and the only wires that need connected for my stereo were 12V (ignition), 12V (battery) and ground. I believe we're talking pin 1, 2, and 13, respectively (24 pin phase II harness).

The stock motherboard will fit behind the glove box, and the stock harness will reach back there. I just zip tied it in position after some trial and error to ensure it wasn't interfering with the closing of the glove box.

I then plugged in the original RSE harness to the motherboard, and did some hunting with a set of old headphones with the ends cut off to find the audio out wires, and spliced in RCA cables. For RCA's, you've got a wire (+) and a sheath (-) for each plug. You can splice the grounds together on the RCA's.

RCA's into new head unit aux, and the RSE turns on like normal. Hope this helps in lieu of pictures.

Yes Jack, very helpful thanks again.

Back