04 Explorer V6 PATS and PCM connections | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer V6 PATS and PCM connections

steve miller

Reaction score
City, State
Barstow
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Here is the story:
Went to start my explorer and the battery was dead. Put the charger on and it slowly cranked, let it charge some more with the same results (slow cranking and not starting then battery died). Let it charge for about 10 minutes (probably left door open and key on during this 10 minutes) and no crank. Dash lights up, gauges working, radio, etc... When trying to start the voltage gauges doesn't move (i.e. no load on the battery). Noticed when the key is in the ON position, the PATS LED is solid ON. Jumped pins 30 and 87 of the starter relay and it cranks. I'm guessing that the PCM is not grounding pin 85 of the starter relay.
Also when I go through the testing using the odometer display (hold down the odometer reset and turn key on) there is an "ign ihb" on the display?

I'm not sure what happen to me user name, I post the above question.
Anyhow, does someone have the pin out of the PCM and the PATS module for an 04 Explorer 4.0 automatic. Thanks in advance.
steve miller

At the 4 pin connect at the key, what signals TX,RCV levels should I see? 13 vdc on pin 1, ground pin 2, TX 12.6 vdc pin 3, RCV 13vdc on pin 4. Is this right?

Back