• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer v6 water pump how to

Jeep2Ford

Reaction score
City, State
Orange County NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Xxplorer
Hello everyone. I am new here. I picked up an 04 explorer with 48k miles from an old man 2 months ago. FANTASTIC shape.
I just noticed a week ago the sweet smell of coolant. I could not find any leaks or drip marks on the driveway.
Last night I noticed a lot of drips and found the source. It is the water pump. I am handy, I have done serious mods to my jeeps in the past. Looking at the water pump looks like it may be easy but intimidating at the same time.

Has anyone do theirs yet?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Are you certain it' s the water pump? I only ask because I recently changed a water pump on a Ford 4.0L v6 only to find the leak source was the two-piece thermostat housing, not the water pump. The drip/leak location had me fooled and the thermostat housings are notorious for leaking.

I strongly recommend that you verify the leak location before you do anything else.

POSITIVE.
I see the leak when the engine is running. It pours out from the water pump. In the area of the prop shaft.

Thanks for those links really good.

It is 100% the water pump. You see it shooting out when it is running. not too much of a leak when off but it does drip.

Back