04 explorer very ruff suspension | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 explorer very ruff suspension

xltbluesport, I have also been through the "lower the tire pressure" routine. As mentioned earlier lowering the tire pressure helps somewhat but barely. I even had mine down as low as 20psi, just to get the smoother ride but to no avail. I ended up changing my tires to LTX M/S 255's which improved the ride some but that harshness is still there (similar feeling to driving a truck with pieces of solid pipe installed where the shocks should be). I recall reading elswhere on some newsgroup that Ford had installed the wrong springs on some Explorer's w/V-6 (but not all). I drove another XLS from a rental company and the ride quality was like night and day! Complaining to Ford gets no results....only the blank stare routine. There is something seriously wrong with the suspensions on these things and I thought Ford would have gotten it right by the time the 2004's & 2005's rolled out but obviously they have not. I am seriously thinking of getting rid of this thing, as mentioned the Trailblazer and Envoy have a much, much smoother ride! Good luck to all on getting your stiff suspensions fixed.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rscotts1, Ha! Ha! Ha! You described the ride perfectly "(similar feeling to driving a truck with pieces of solid pipe installed where the shocks should be)". At this point all I can do is laugh. Hope the fillings in my teeth don't come loose. When I buy my next vehicle, the dealer and I will be going on a very long test ride on the streets that I pick. He may want to pack his lunch!!!

Another way to explain our dilema xltbluesport, would be to have everyone inflate their tires to 60 or 70 psi and then drive around like that for awhile. Garuanteed, they would feel every pebble, groove or other imerfection in the road....lol!

Shock Part Numbers

As I've been researching the suspension on my Explorer, I've found that for some reason they have different shocks and springs available for both the front and rear. I went to the parts department and found many options, but he couldn't tell me why and what Explorer gets what for the different combinations. I’m assuming the front is different depending on the engine (V8 vs. V6). Maybe the rear gets a different setup depending if it has a tow package.
Anyway I’m wondering if I can find a part number for a softer rear shock. My rear shocks are part number 4L2418W002BB and I currently have access to 1L24-18W002BH. Does anyone have information on how to decipher these part numbers?

Well I may have just thrown $100 away, but I just bought a pair of rear shocks/springs from ebay. These are listed as new for 2002-2004 Explorers/Mountaineers. I'll give this a try and let everyone know if it makes any difference. I'm certainly doing this blind since I don't know if these are softer or not. I'm not expecting miracles and I can always put the originals back on the X.

Error on my part fixed below :)

One more thing to point out, the Sport/Sport Trac is a completely dfferent model than the 3rd generation Explorer. The Sport/Sport Trac, from my understanding, has always had a rough/harsh ride. The 3rd Gen X's are supposed to have a far superior ride than compared to the previous X's and mine does not! I could keep going to the dealer, but have given up. My X has been to the shop 10 or 11 times so far for various problems and I just want to get rid of it. :fire: Was really interested in the new F150, but those guys are having a h**l of a time with driveline vibrations and rearend failures. Seriously looking at the Envoy now. Sorry fellow Ford Fans.

Rscotts1, I certainly understand and sometimes you just have to make a change. That being said, I had a 2001 F150 Supercrew and loved it! I read the message boards at F150 online and saw many people with problems. I didn't experience those problems. My wife has a GMC Yukon and she loves it too...and the message boards are full of problems.
I'm sure you would love the Envoy, but if I move from the X, I'll buy a Supercrew again. For now I'll be playing with my X and hope I can improve a terrible ride.

Good luck with your decision.

I would stay far, far away from anything GM. Goto any Chevy truck forum and see the countless numbers of fuel pump failures, and lousy transmissions. The Explorer has been the best vehicle I have ever owned bar none. I had a Centuiry, Malibu, and a Cavalier...notice I don't have ANY of them anymore? Complete trash.

You're better off getting a 4-Runner, or perhaps an Xterra. I recommend the Yota.

Thanks for the tips guys. I was really looking forward to picking up an 04 or 05 Explorer limited with the V/8. Guess I will have to thoroughly test drive the thing before buying.

I thought I should correct a misconception. The 2004 XLT Sport is a 4-door and the latest generation Explorer. I've never seen a 2004 2-door.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/suvs/explorer/glance/index.asp#Explorer_XLT_Sport

"Christobal65
I see a lot of you complaining about the ride on 04 SPORTS. One thing to rememeber is the Sport and the Sport Trac are still using the same rear suspension as the previous years ONLY the 4 doors got the compleat redesign"

Christobal65 said:
I see a lot of you complaining about the ride on 04 SPORTS. One thing to rememeber is the Sport and the Sport Trac are still using the same rear suspension as the previous years ONLY the 4 doors got the compleat redesign

Like what was stated earlier.. The Explorer XLS Sport, XLT Sport are the 4 door models. The only major difference between a Sport and a non-sport is the addition of the running boards.

I have a 02 XLS Sport model. Difference between the XLS Sport and the base XLS is addition of alluminum wheels and side running boards. I purposely got the Sport models cause I think the models without the running boards look like something is missing.. Especially when you see the huge frame hanging below the body..

NusenseSD said:
Like what was stated earlier.. The Explorer XLS Sport, XLT Sport are the 4 door models. The only major difference between a Sport and a non-sport is the addition of the running boards.

I have a 02 XLS Sport model. Difference between the XLS Sport and the base XLS is addition of alluminum wheels and side running boards. I purposely got the Sport models cause I think the models without the running boards look like something is missing.. Especially when you see the huge frame hanging below the body..
I was already corrected above ;) my point was that 2door explorers and the sport trac still used the live axle after the 4door got the IRS

Christobal65 said:
I was already corrected above ;) my point was that 2door explorers and the sport trac still used the live axle after the 4door got the IRS

I know you were.. Thats why I said like what was said earlier..

I was letting you know what the difference between a non sport model and a sport model..

NusenseSD said:
I know you were.. Thats why I said like what was said earlier..

I was letting you know what the difference between a non sport model and a sport model..
See the last time i looked a any new explorers the sport model was still the 2door I was unaware that they now have a sport 4door thanks for the info:)

Rscotts1 said:
I recall reading elswhere on some newsgroup that Ford had installed the wrong springs on some Explorer's w/V-6 (but not all). I drove another XLS from a rental company and the ride quality was like night and day!

You guys should find out what the correct part #s are and what you've got. 1st and 2nd gen Xs rode rough, but the new ones (should) have a ride that's very close to a car. Even after putting 17" wheels and lower profile tires on mine, the ride is way, way better than my '98.

I'm a little late on this thread, but heres another vote for a crappy ride. I just picked this thing up (2004 XLT Sport 4-door) and it seems as though this thing is way over sprung. An independent suspension-ed vehicle should not ride like this. Funny how the test vehicle we drove didn't drive like the one we bought. Very disappointing for a $30+ large vehicle.

Thanks for the input jimmyz79, I too feel the same way and that is the reason I am getting rid of the X. Just ordered a new 2005 Toyota Sequoia and it should be arriving the end of this month. I have been searching for shocks/suspension upgrades along with other peformance goodies and I am truly disappointed!!! Aftermarket parts for the 3rd Gen X are nonexistent!!! I truly cannot wait to get my new Toyota (sorry guys, not trying to bash the Exlorer, but mine totally is a piece of C**P!!!!) I totally waisted my money on this thing. I figured that I would be able to replace the shocks/springs later but boy was I wrong! The ride has only gotten worse. I bid Aloha to everybody for their help on this forum.......I'm off to Toyota land...woohoo!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

wilawok said:
I have an 04 limited with the standard 245/65/17 michelins. I have noticed that at the standard 32psi the tyres are very smooth. by the time I get up to 36psi it rides really hard but gives better fuel economy. so i have taken to a compromise 34psi and am loving it. This being my first 4x4/suv I am impressed by how good the ride is. i was expecting worse. it is way smoother than my 97 bmw m3 that I replaced . ( bought an suv cause my rottwieler got too big for the back seat of the beemer!!!)

My experience exactly! When I get my oil changed, if I'm not paying attention the guys run the air pressure up to 36 lbs resulting in a very rough ride. As long as I keep my tires at the pressure listed on the door placard, the ride is excellent.

:exp:

Back