• Register Today It's free!

04 Explorer XLT Radio question...

nycexplorer

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Quick question, how do you take out the stock radio?? I dont wanna just go pulling stuff and break it. Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

there should be two holes on each side, run up to walmart and buy a set of keys for it, their like 4.84ish i think. Put the keys in the holes and push until they lock, then pull and it will slide right out.

Or make your own

Picture48(1).jpg

On 3rd gen., you have to pop the finish panel off around the radio, then there are 2 9/32" screws that hold it in. Then just pull it out. It's also a safe practice to disconnect the electrical connector before disconnecting the antenna lead, as to prevent smoking the radio incase of an arc when you're disconnecting the harness (trust me, it happens).

Eneurb said:
as to prevent smoking the radio incase of an arc when you're disconnecting the harness (trust me, it happens).

ouch - that sounds real nasty! I would also get extremely pissed if that happend to me. Good tip!

-Drew

my brother helped me take mine out, we got 4 thick nails placed then in the holes and then took a board and pressed them in, I would recomend you buy a sterio plug adapter {(we got ahead of ourselves and cut the plug and tried to wire a new one (trust me you dont want to do this!)}

Crispy Niggets said:
my brother helped me take mine out, we got 4 thick nails placed then in the holes and then took a board and pressed them in, I would recomend you buy a sterio plug adapter {(we got ahead of ourselves and cut the plug and tried to wire a new one (trust me you dont want to do this!)}
3rd generation Explorers no longer use that style radio.

Back