• Register Today It's free!

04 ford explorer xlt 4.0 no crank

Christine Cantu

Reaction score
City, State
San Antonio
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 ford explorer
So I've had my explorer for about almost a year now. Just recently my boyfriend and daughter went to store the other night and everything was working FINE AND DANDY I mean it has its kick when I put it in R but I know what that means already but again they went to store and my turned ignition off went inside then BAM! NO CRANK OVER but lights dashboard turn on I've read its something to deal with the PATS SYSTEM? Is their a way to override this? I don't want to go to dealership. Can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE

So I've had my explorer for about almost a year now. Just recently my boyfriend and daughter went to store the other night and everything was working FINE AND DANDY I mean it has its kick when I put it in R but I know what that means already but again they went to store and my turned ignition off went inside then BAM! NO CRANK OVER but lights dashboard turn on I've read its something to deal with the PATS SYSTEM? Is their a way to override this? I don't want to go to dealership. Can SOMEONE PLEASE HELP ME OUT HERE
You need to pay attention to the red security light reflected in the bottom edge of the windshield. Surely you've noticed it before? Under normal non-running conditions, it flashes on, then off, every 4 or 5 seconds. Inserting a key in the switch and turning to "ON" position, not start, if PATS system is preventing starting, that light will flash on and off continuously very rapidly. If PATS is working properly, the turn ON will cause the light to illuminate full on brightly for about 10 seconds, then turn off, or on brightly until key turned to START, at which time the engine will crank and the light will go OUT.

If the light reveals PATS is preventing starting, as outlined above, possible causes are:
PATS Transceiver not functioning. It is connected to the car's wiring system by a tiny, fragile connector located under the lower steering column shroud, which may be taken down by removing screws from below.
The connector and wires should be checked. Defeating a non-working PATS system is difficult, as it disables the PCM (computer) preventing starter, ignition, and fuel systems from operating.

First do what IMP said and determine if it's PATS. It could simply be a low battery as they tend to suddenly die as the seasons change.

If it is PATS it's best to just get the equipment to program it yourself.

1. You'll need a windows computer (laptop preferred, but you could set up a desktop in the vehicle if you're desperate. I certainly would before paying a dealer).

2. You'll need to buy a USB to OBDII cable for $40. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005ZWM0R4/?tag=serious-20

3. You'll need to download and install the free ForScan software and get the free extended license key from their website. Download FORScan

4. You'll need to have 2 unique PATS keys. If you only have one key or your have two but one of them is actually a clone of the other one that won't work. You can buy a blank on ebay cheap then have a hardware store cut the key. New Ford H92 SA 80 BIT OEM Original Chip Best Quality Guranteed to Program A++ | eBay

Could also be the PCM fuse. Fuse #41 in the power distribution box under the hood. It's pretty common for the O2 sensor to hang down and rub on the the front driveshaft until it wears through and shorts out this fuse.

Good luck!
Jake

Back