• Register Today It's free!

'04 front left hub bad?

everphilski

Reaction score
City, State
King County, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Explorer Ltd
OK, I think my front left hub is bad but can't confirm. When driving between 10-30 miles an hour theres a very light wub-wub-wub noise which gets worse when turning right.

2004 4x4 v8

I tried shaking the tire in the vertical and horizontal plane and there was no play, nice and tight. I took off the brake caliper and rotor and spun the hub and it didn't feel gravelly but there was just a little play in rotation but I didn't have the right socket to remove the axle nut so I couldn't tell if it was the hub or not.

I guess the next step is to get that axle nut off and try again.

However I did hear a distinctive squeak when rotating especially rotating backwards coming from the hub on the in side of the knuckle. It sounded kind of like rubber-on-rubber so initially I suspected it was the dust cover on the cv joint but its definitely not coming from there, its between the dust cover and the hub itself.

I did not hear the squeak on the left hand side. (But I didn't take off the rotor/caliper so it was hard to judge if there was any play... didnt feel like any)

TL;DR: squeak when hand rotating a hub a confirmatory sign? Any other suspects I should ring out before ordering new hubs?

thanks

philip

These hubs don't have wobble in them when they go bad. At least, not initially. The play is .07" and you have to use a crow bar to try and move it (tire off.). The sound is usual what lets us know they are bad. They often sound like deep lug mud tires.

The rule is, the bad hub is opposite the direction you turn when you hear it. Murphy's law is, it's which ever one you don't replace.

The best hub you can get, is an SKF unit. You'll find lesser expensive hubs, but there's a reason.

The rule is, the bad hub is opposite the direction you turn when you hear it. Murphy's law is, it's which ever one you don't replace.

Heh, yeah I was planning on replacing both at the advice of a friend. I just am trying to make sure its not the CV or something else making the sound, would hate to spend a few hundred on hubs to find out that's not it!

thanks

philip

Back