• Register Today It's free!

04 Instument Cluster in an 02?

ito-23

Reaction score
City, State
Sanit Clair, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 XLT
I have a problem with my instrument cluster on my 02 XLT. The LED Odometer and Compass has not worked for some time. My LED is bad, and I've been quoted up to $300 to fix the LED. I found an instrument cluster from an '04 and the wire harness matched up. When I installed the new cluster, nothing worked except the Turn signals, and those were a little messed up. When I hit my Left turn signal... the light for the brights came on... right turn signal... hazards and brights together. I hit my brights... and my left turn signal light came on. Other than those oddities, the needels won't move, and nothing lights up.

Is is possible that this instrument cluster is bad, or did ford change a few wires in the harness?

Instrument cluster.

I kinda went threw the same situation a couple months back with the I.C on a 97 Ford Taurus, I ended up getting a 96 I.C thinking it would be the same, turns out I was sadly mistaken. The main harness would snap right in, but certain indicator lights would come on like in your case. Upon further inspection I noticed they were wired different inorder to elimnate certain indicator lights like the (tailight out) function & etc. Ford's way of saving money, go figure?
Anyway, that was right before they switched over to electrical I.C's, but it sounded somewhat familiar to me so, I hope this helps. :usa:

Back