• Register Today It's free!

04 outside door handle

Pmedic

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
Hello I have a 2004 Explorer XLT. The drivers side outside door handle broke. I found a video online about how to replace it but I have 2 questions one they showed the passenger side not drivers. My handle is the one with the door lock in the handle is there anything special about getting the key lock out of the old handle or back in the new one. My second question is how do I get the power mirror knob off i don't want to just pull it and break it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Ben

On the door panel, first pop off the panel behind interior door handle. Then you can remove the trim piece with the window switches. Do NOT try to remove the window switch piece first. Unplug the wires from the window switch.
Then remove the screw behind the interior door handle as well as the two at the bottom of the door.
Now pull up on the panel, then out. This will give you access to the window switch connector. Unplug it and set door aside.

Remove the two nuts holding the exterior door handle on. Sometimes, the studs will want to come out instead of just the nuts, this is okay.
Latch and lock connections will be easy to see once the panel is off. I find taking pictures is handy so you can see exactly where the clips etc had been attached.

Back