04 Sport Trac makes noise when turning and 4x4 engaged | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 Sport Trac makes noise when turning and 4x4 engaged

Zergo

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, MB
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Ford Sport Trac 4x4
Just got this truck, it works quite well, purrs like a kitten, except when I have it in 4 hi or 4 low and am turning a sharp corner at low speeds (too scared to try at high speeds in case it will break something). Pretty much it sounds like something is getting stuck and then gives, with a bit of a thud. Driving in 2wd is no issue at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like normal 4x4 activity, but I've got an explorer with similar miles, so it may be an age thing where we both have the same problem.

My ST is low milage 40k and it is not happy in 4x4 on full lock, left or right. There's no noises but it feels a bit like the front is being pushed by the back wheels.
It's been like that from new, so I think it's just the way the ST is and wouldn't worry too much about it.
There are stops on the lower control arms which is where your noises could be comming from.

^ Dry steering stops make grinding metal sounds when moving slowly over small bumps at FULL steering lock. Make sure

the round bumps on the LCA's and the crescent shaped protrusions on the spindles are coated with heavy waterproof grease.

steeringstops.jpg

Good point, I'll go and grease these stops, thanks.

If its a 04 Sport trac its not full time AWD if your on dry pavement it is going to bind the cv joints in the front axle. There only part time 4WD you need to be on dirt or snow to run it with full turns so one of the wheels can slip

If its a 04 Sport trac its not full time AWD if your on dry pavement it is going to bind the cv joints in the front axle. There only part time 4WD you need to be on dirt or snow to run it with full turns so one of the wheels can slip

So does that mean the noise is completely normal, and I shouldn't really be using the 4x4 unless necessary? Or is there no risk of causing damage?

So does that mean the noise is completely normal, and I shouldn't really be using the 4x4 unless necessary?

Yes. Like roamer37 said, don't use 4x4 on dry pavement. My Sport Tracs do the same thing.

Back