04 XLT - SES Lit - P0401 - How to verify bad ESM EGR | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

04 XLT - SES Lit - P0401 - How to verify bad ESM EGR

we87

Reaction score
City, State
DFW, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Explorer XLT
2004 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 v6 4WD

Check engine light has been on for awhile, finally got around to messing with it- P0401

Car has been running just fine and nothing noticeable as far as rough idling or stalling or anything. Just wanted to get the check engine light off which led me to finding out I have a EGR valve and DPFE sensor in one unit in this explorer which is now called the ESM module or something like that. Problem is there isn't a whole lot of information on this module, or at least that I can find. I found one YouTube video telling me very vaguely to check wire voltages.

According to what I got from my crappy volt meter and fat ass barely balancing and falling into the engine- is pin 3 at the connector green and brown is 1.7 volts while truck is started.

All I am trying to do is verify that the module is actually bad before I spend $100 or so to replace it for no reason.

Any advice on where to go from here would be great. Thanks a lot of advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not exactly. But thank you for the reply.

Hopefully this might help ???

EGR%20sensor_zps6z6urnfv.jpg

DPFE_zpsthqv7b4f.jpg

P0401_zpscghu9nrw.jpg

DPFE2_zpsz2r0k6x6.jpg

DPFE3_zpsklwwdjce.jpg

DPFE4_zpsyob9rdu5.jpg

If I remember right, you can get that code from a vacuum leak as well as from a bad sensor. I would check the hoses that come off of the manifold as the elbows are prone to splitting. You should also check the small hoses that run into the sensor as they dry out. It sounds like your setup may be a bit different. Do you have the sensor pictured in the previous post by 223thecure?

LMHmedchem

Aloha,

I had the same code. No code after replacing the EGR valve.

Thank you all for the great information.

No my EGR valve doesn't look like the one previously posted. That is the SEPERATE DPFE sensor one. The one on my truck had the DPFE sensor built in.

It's like the one here: http://m.1aauto.com/egr-valve/i/1ae..._content=EGR&gclid=CO3-8LSMq8wCFQEGaQodmQgMZw

I bought the sensor for $91 bucks today, and would like to try installing it. Now I just need to find a tutorial of some kind and I'll be good. Looks pretty straight forward though, two vacuum hoses and an exhaust pipe.

Works both ways. I know for a fact I'm still ahead of the game for all the help I've gotten from this forum. EF rocks! :thumbsup:

Back