'05 4.0 Alternator issue - at a complete loss | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'05 4.0 Alternator issue - at a complete loss

Number4

"I'm counting to 3, then I'm getting your dad."
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Woodstock, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Ford Explorer 4.6l
So I posted the other day about a voltage regulator issue. At idle, mine was only producing 12.2-12.4 volts. At 1500 rpm + it was doing 14+ volts.

Needed to get it fixed, regulators aren't prevalant, so I purchased a reman alternator.

Keep in mind, we're talking a Ford Explorer here.

So, I took the old one off and put the new one on. Only took 15-20 minutes.

I'm at a loss as to what to do with my evening. Like most things on this car I was expecting a fight. Now I have un-budgeted time on my hands and don't know what to do.

Now for some info. Haynes manual didn't have any bolt torque so I tested prior to removal.
The top forward bolt was at 30' lbs
The bottom forward bolt was at 45' lbs
The rear lower harness nut was at 5' lbs
The rear lower alt bolt was at 45' lbs.
The cable to alt lug was 60" lbs.

There could be some give or take here, but those were my findings.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The one thing your never told us?

Did the re-man alternator fix the low voltage at idle issue?

So, fantastic news (<---- Sarcasm) diving my '04 to work today, the radio cuts out. Just for a second though and it's back on. At first I thought it was the station. Then it happens again a few moments later. Now I'm interested.

Few more miles down the road, on the freeway, radio cuts out, gauge makes a sound and the battery and ABS warning lights come on. But, as quick as it all happens, its back to normal.

So I kill the radio and the blower and watch my Ultra-Gauge. Ever once in a while, the ECM voltage drops to 12.2 to high 12's in voltage. Then goes back into the 13's, 14's occasionally but now I don't have a load on it.

Come to an idle, it's fine. At idle, temp heats up, radiator fan kicks on, voltage dips but adjusts.

RPM's seem to have no effect.

What the crap??? How do I have an alternator issue on both Explorers just days apart?

From reading posts in the past, it seams whenever the gauge acts up, it's an alternator issue. Can a guy catch a break?

I'm at a loss as to what to do with my evening. Like most things on this car I was expecting a fight. Now I have un-budgeted time on my hands and don't know what to do.

I hate you.

I always have the opposite issue. A job that should take 2 hours on a normal vehicle takes me 5 due to battling with rusty parts.

I've spent every weekend this summer battling this bucket. I guess that's what I get for buying a truck that lived it's life at the norther tip of Maine.

I hate you.

I always have the opposite issue. A job that should take 2 hours on a normal vehicle takes me 5 due to battling with rusty parts.

I've spent every weekend this summer battling this bucket. I guess that's what I get for buying a truck that lived it's life at the norther tip of Maine.

Not that I could afford to, but if I lived anywhere up north, I think I'd lease cars and turn them in every three years. Never have to deal with any repairs.

So I kill the radio and the blower and watch my Ultra-Gauge. Ever once in a while, the ECM voltage drops to 12.2 to high 12's in voltage. Then goes back into the 13's, 14's occasionally but now I don't have a load on it.

Sounds almost like your B+ cable (output terminal) is coming loose. I had that happen once and the voltage behavior was exactly as you describe.

That can kill a brand new alternator pretty quickly, too.

Not that I could afford to, but if I lived anywhere up north, I think I'd lease cars and turn them in every three years. Never have to deal with any repairs.

That would be ideal. Every vehicle up here gets eatin alive.

Unfortunately contract work makes income uncertain so I far prefer having a vehicle I own outright.

Next time I head to my parents in Florida I'm on the hunt for a rust free 4th gen. Should make life much easier.

Back