'05 4.0L Sport Trac vs '10 4.6L Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'05 4.0L Sport Trac vs '10 4.6L Sport Trac

minelson17

Reaction score
City, State
Keizer OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Ford Explorer XLS
Hey Everyone!

Been a long time since my last post but I'm once again in need of the Explorer community's guidance. I'm selling my 2006 Ranger as we've just had a new addition to the family and need some more cabin space. I've narrowed down my search to two vehicles, which both appear to be great deals and are in good shape inside and out. Here are the details:

1. 2005 Sport Trac 4.0L V6 XLT 4x4 - $10,000

80k miles
Black Exterior
Black Leather Interior, Sun/moonroof
3.73 Limited Slip, No Tow Package

2. 2010 Sport Trac 4.6L V8 XLT 4x4 - $14,000

117k miles
Silver Exterior
Black Cloth Interior
3.55 Open Differential, Class II Tow Package

This vehicle will be my daily driver to and from work each day. I still have my weekend toy which is my '92 Ex sitting on 35's. I will do very little if any towing with this vehicle (currently, but that could change). I am looking for something I can drive for 4-5 years that will still be marketable. What is most important to me is reliability and gas mileage, basically lowest overall cost of ownership. Clearly the '10 will be a more comfortable, enjoyable ride, and being 5 years younger has less wear and tear in some aspects. But the '05 has less miles, and is $4,000 cheaper. I've read up on the common issues for both platforms, but given they are the later models of their respective generations, I also read how many of those issues were resolved/mitigated. Both are under my budget, but $4k is still $4k.

So which would you choose, and why?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Keep in mind that the 4.6 may be a nightmare when changing the plugs. You may have to pull the engine.

I'd go for the 2010 4.6L V8 over the '05 4.0L SOHC in a heartbeat. I hate the POS 4.0L SOHC engines. They're nothing but trouble. I really like the idea of the Sport Trac, but the engine and transmission ruin it.

The '05 may be better equipped, but you'll be kicking yourself when the expensive repairs hit.

Yeah I've seen a lot about the plugs on the 4.6L. That's kind of my dilemma. The extra power is enticing, but is it as reliable as the 4.0 SOHC?I've had great luck with those platforms and am comfortable with them. Not so sure about the 4.6L based on things I've heard and read. It would be one thing if I was buying new, but these are used.

The 10 would have the good heads. No plug issues. Only look out is the manifold bolts. Small price to pay compared to the Rube Goldberg that is the 4.0l teamed up with a car transmission in the 5r55s.

Coincidence, but I traded my '05 ST 4.0L for a '10 ST 4.6L a couple of years ago. If the '10 you are looking at is good mechanically, it would be the one to buy. I have always been glad that I traded, and I paid a lot more than $4K difference. When reading about problems concerning the Gen2 STs, be sure to note the model year. There was a change between the '08 and '09 models of the ST, the spark plug and exhaust manifold problems were resolved and there was an upgrade in the electronics.

Well, after driving both vehicles and doing my research, I agreed with everyone and went with the 2010. Here she is nose to nose with her much older (and taller) brother. Thanks for the advice guys!
photo.php

Well, after driving both vehicles and doing my research, I agreed with everyone and went with the 2010. Here she is nose to nose with her much older (and taller) brother. Thanks for the advice guys!
photo.php
Well I tried to post a picture, but like I said it's been a while. I don't think I did it right.

19989731_978408450113_256857228985779249_n.jpg

Back