05 Adrenaline - PATS/Remote Start issues and more! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Adrenaline - PATS/Remote Start issues and more!

stenix

Reaction score
City, State
Victoria, BC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Sport Trac Adrenalin
Long story short. Put key in, rotates, turns all power on, won't crank and theft light flashes. Battery is brand new, tried all the tricks in every thread I could find. Don't want to pay dealer again. Really frustrated and wife doesn't trust it to start anymore. Runs fantastic the 20% of the time it does start.

About 3 years ago my wife got a 2005 Sport Trac Adrenaline, her dream truck and was using it for work.
Started having some weird things happen, you would turn the key and everything would light up but no crank. It also has a stock ford remote start system too. We have 3 fobs and 3 keys all work for the most part.
2 years ago the remote start would engage up to when it would need to crank (fuel pump prime, etc) then the alarm would go off (and the alarm is $&#@ing loud on this) and I'd be running out half dressed to get a key in ignition was only way to stop it at 3am. So we gaveup trying it.
Then then started being more frequent that you would put the key in and rotate, no crank. About 20% of the time attempted it wouldn't crank. We took it into the dealer, paid a fair chunk of change to have "everything" reprogrammed and functioning. Worked about a month, then exact same issues. Covid hit, wifes not working, parked the truck for 6 months. Now we need to use the truck again and I've literally tried everything on this forum and looking for help.

Other things I've done on this truck
Overhead temp display/Compass: Stopped working, got one from wrecker also didn't work, tried to fix the problem resistor that broke but not great with fixing circuit boards. Found another one from wrecker that worked and now have 2 dead display boards.
Rear window motor: Window would go up 90%, slow down motor sounds like it struggles, and go back down. Goes up with helping hands. Got a new motor and assembly from a wrecked one haven't swapped yet.
Drivers door window power: Windows all went down, when tried to go up nothing happened on any button. By fluke opened door and tried again, they went up. There was a broken ground wire in the door boot that grounds all window motors to the drivers control panel? Fixed, worked great since. Thought it was the control panel in the drivers door but it wasn't so I got a spare one of those too.
Stereo: Did flakey things, ate a disc, randomly changed it's own settings. Replaced with a touchscreen that was a real tight squeeze. Haven't removed factory sub/amp yet.

Get the PATS code. My first guess is that you are having a transceiver issue. If you had a key/programming issue it’d never start.

How does the remote start bypass the PATS? Does it have a remote key box?

I’d remove the factory remote start since it doesn’t work, anyways.

Get the PATS code. My first guess is that you are having a transceiver issue. If you had a key/programming issue it’d never start.

How does the remote start bypass the PATS? Does it have a remote key box?

I’d remove the factory remote start since it doesn’t work, anyways.
Say I am not aware how it all functions, as I'm a motor guy not an alarm guy...Where do I get the PATS code and what does it do?

I've no idea how the remote start bypasses it. There is a module below emergency brake release marked Remote Start Module with a ford logo. I am not sure how I would remove the remote start.

I’d start by unplugging all the connectors to the remote start module, and see if that made any difference.

The theft light will blink put a code like an old check engine light and tell you what it thinks the problem is.

Back