05 explorer 4dr - nerf bar installation- help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer 4dr - nerf bar installation- help

eah403

Reaction score
City, State
port st lucie, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 ford explorer
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2005-F...xplorer|Year:2005&hash=item27c3c21165&vxp=mtr

I bought these nerf bars from a company on ebay. it did not come with installation instructions. i have installed nerf bars and other accessories on other vehicles without any issues, however, the brackets for this set of nerf bars lines up with holes in the body but the center hole on the bracket does not match any preexisting holes in the body or frame of the truck. if these brackets were to attach to the frame then they bars would be sitting under the truck. when bolted to the body and i step on the bars the bars bend the underneath of the body so i know something is not right. please help. thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

have you tried contacting them for a install guide? They should have provided it regardless if they were new

i have emailed them thru ebay on saturday and have not heard anything back yet. anxious to get them installed i have been online looking for instructions. so far i have been unsuccessful.

option group nerf bar. item number on box ssbfd0021s

I am in this exact same situation.

Bought them on eBay, received no instructions, no contact from seller. But I did figure it out.

My concern was that if I mounted it to the only two existing holes, it would flex and bend if someone stepped on it. There is nothing under the third hole (the "tab" that extends out the back of the bracket).

If you look behind the lip where the two mounting holes are, about 3 inches above in the center of the two holes is another hole, with a slot cut next to it. With the mounting hardware, you should have gotten 6 C-clips that have an open hole on one side, and are threaded on the other. These 6 clips slide into the slot under the body, and the hole in the clip aligns with the hole in the metal. This provides threads for the bolt to grab onto.

Also with the hardware, you should have gotten 6 lengths of stainless steel round pipe, about 3 inches each. These go between the hole you just installed the clip into, and that third hole on the bracket. The the longest bolt that was included goes through the bracket, the pipe, and screws into the clip.

261jkmq.jpg

This way, the two preexisting holes are used, and the third acts as a brace to prevent flex (via the spacer). It's not that complicated, I'm just probably not very good at explaining it. I attached a (bad) diagram of what I'm trying to say. I'll take actual pictures in the morning and update this when I install them on my Ex.

I bought these from the same seller and I have the exact same issue.

The holes to mount to the frame of the vehicle do not line up. The brackets are not the correct ones for this vehicle. Looking at the pics in the instructions (had to email them for them), the hole on their vehicle is actually in a different location, so whatever vehicle that was used to test fit these brackets is not the same as ours.

I'm trying to send them back for a refund now and trying to find a set that actually fits, without having to spend $200+ for them.

The explanation above only works if the holes in the brackets lined up with the hole in the frame of the vehicle, which they do not. I have tried every bracket at every placement on the vehicle, and NONE of the holes to mount to the frame line up.

after a few frustrating evenings we decided to make them work. the price was right and we couldnt find others similar in style and price. My husband ended up drilling holes in the frame and the bars have been installed with no problems for almost a full year.

Back