05 Explorer AC not blowing cold: Low side high, high side normal | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer AC not blowing cold: Low side high, high side normal

kcblakely

Reaction score
City, State
Washington DC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer Limite
Hey guys: I'm reasonably competent on AC systems, but this one has me stumped.

03 Explorer with 4L V6. AC was blowing ice cold, but then car sat for 2 weeks while I worked on something else, now does not blow cold at all. Emptied the system, pulled a vacuum and refilled with 24oz R134a (capacity is 34oz, so I'm a little light I know): still not even a hint of cold air. Nothing.

Compressor engages and cycles normally.

My gauges should be showing ~30psi low side and ~150psi high side, based on ambient temp and humidity. Instead, with the compressor engaged I see 60psi low side and 150psi high side. When the compressor disengages, high side pressure slowly drops while low side pressure never moves; neither up nor down.

I could understand a clog not allowing refrigerant to travel from low side to high, but if that's the case how would the high side have gotten anything in it at all?

Thoughts?

Actually high side should be higher than that, could be a sign of a worn out compressor.

Replace the orfice tube (it's like a $2 item), pull vacuum then put in 3 12oz cans of R134a.

Mine shows 40 on the low and 265 on the high at about 95 degrees ambient temp.

Edit: I see your trim is "Limited" do you have a rear a/c system? If yes it requires 56oz (4.6 cans) not 34oz (3 cans).

Back