05 Explorer Fog Light Replacement. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer Fog Light Replacement.

scmcb

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Eddie Bauer Explorer
The glass on the driver's side fog light (located in the front bumper) on my 05 Eddie Bauer Explorer was shattered. I believe I have to replace the entire unit. Does anyone know how to replace it? I took a quick look and I didn't see any access. Thank you very much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

yes!! I CAN HELP YOU!!!

ok if you lay on your back under the front of the car and look right behind the bumber you will see kind of a disk with a ball sticking out of the middle, that is the foglight housing. There are three bolts attaching it to the bumper in an upside down triangle pattern, first unhook the headlight bulb. Now then there are two bolts on the top half just past the "Ball" on either side near the outside of the disk, they are each inside of a recessed part of the disk, remove them first. now remove the last bolt on the bottom while holding the housing with your hand. after the 3rd bolt is removed the housing will very easily come free...be carefull it doesnt fall on your face...that will realy hurt..OH and im pretty sure the bolts are 8mm...heads up if you didnt know, %99 of the bolts on these new explorers are metric.

You will have to replace the whole unit, for best price check ebay, if your ok with spending a little more, your ford dealership might have one on hand.

after you install the new one, you may have to allign it with the other. there is a little silver knob you can rotate on the bottom of the "ball" i believe clockwise raises the beam...i might be wrong.

Good luck, and If i can be more specific or you would like some pictures let me know...feel free to ask,

OH and welcome to probably THEE biggest source of info on these rigs.

Thank You!

Thank you very much! It's been a while since I did any vehicle maintenance, but to save $160 I think I'll give it a shot. Then again, maybe I can convince my wife to do it - the instructions were great. Thanks again.

lol glad to help, and good luck.

replace stock fog light on 2005 Explorer

Thanks to the 2 postings on this forum I decided to replace my broken fog light myself. My mom had me take an auto maintenance class at night at the Vocational school way back in the 70's so I was willing to give this a shot - in those days women didn't do mechanical work.

I picked up a pair off Amazon that included the bulbs and free shipping for $49.84, took about a week to arrive. Undid the screws on the plastic flaps behind the units, then the 3 screws holding it in. Popped the old unit out the new one - they look great.

The other posting didn't say anything about adjusting them so now that it's dark out I'll head out and check that out.

Again thanks for the postings here they were a great help.

Back