05 explorer fuel pump cutoff for no reason | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 explorer fuel pump cutoff for no reason

61 uni

Reaction score
Our exp. wouldn't start this a.m. Scanned the computer, checked the neutral safety switch and finally reset the fuel pump switch. Started after flipping the switch. Exp has never been hit from the rear and was drove last night. Any ideas?

Could be a fluke, BUT next time you drive it for awhile, open the hood and feel the fuel pump relay (find it using your owners manual - its on the drivers side right by the battery under the cover - easy to find and feel). Do that a few times and if it feels HOT, it means your fuel pump may be going out. When mine went out, it also burned up the wires leading up to the switch. Also, if your engine dies for no reason, feel that relay. If it is really HOT, that also means your fuel pump is going out.

My brother had the same problem in his 2006 Ranger. After driving awhile the truck would shut off and not start again for a few minutes. We replaced the fuel pump without checking the fuel shut off switch. Needless to say it was a faulty fuel shut off switch. I would try that!!

Back