05 Explorer Throttle issue?

br0ck

Reaction score
City, State
Boston, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Hey guys,

I want to double check a diagnosis from my local ford dealer that I'm not 100% sure of. I won't tell you what they advised until I see your responses, I don't want to lead you!

2005 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0L V6 4x2

Issue:
Engine "kicks" pretty hard into gear when pushing down on accelerator pedal after coasting (foot off the accelerator). There is also about a 1 second delay from when I press the accelerator pedal to when it responds. It kicks harder if I give it more gas, but still the long delay to respond. It still kicks even if I barely touch the accelerator, but not quite as strong.

Annoying as all hell. What do you think?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mine does this sometimes too. I always thought it was something to do with the mass air flow sensor getting dirty because I have an volant air intake and over oiled the filter. It stops doing it for awhile when I clean the sensor. Gets annoying after awhile... Try that and see if it helps but it might be something completely different then my issue.

Not a bad thought.. I'll give that a try. I guess no one else is going to take a shot at it..

They told me I'll need to replace my entire pedal assembly to address the problem. Of course that seems a bit extreme without trying anything else first.. I'll update if cleaning the sensor does anything.
Thanks

I vote cleaning MAF, PCM could be causing that behavior if dirty. Also, I am just curious, could it be transmission related?

Moms 04 was like that.... Had to replace throttle body;runs great now...
Was like it'd stick for a sec or two... Made pulling into traffic dangerous...

Ford had that problem it is the delay of the electronics on almost all off the cars and trucks that used system for about the first couple of years. Ford did come out with a software updated that helped respond quicker but there was still going to be a little delay. You will have some type of delay when go from coasting to accerrating because of the electronics trying trying to catch up the accerator. Also 04 and 05 came with a learning trans (I know 05 did not sure about 04 it the same trans it's just a computer program). This is what Ford calls it (it's in my owners manual) but it learns your driving patterns as far as take-off and so on and it changes all the time. What's happens is sometimes it's the pressure in the trans and that will cause it to do the samething hard shift. On 04 and 05 drive by wire it is the motor on the trottle body gets lazy which will cause your problem. The only fix is to replace the throttle body assembly.

Had the same issue on the 2004 4.6 we picked up about a month ago. Simple carb/choke spray aroung the butterfly at the intake side of the throttle body helped a lot.

Had the same issue on the 2004 4.6 we picked up about a month ago. Simple carb/choke spray aroung the butterfly at the intake side of the throttle body helped a lot.

This worked for me too. I used a throttle body cleaner with cue tips sp? and toothpicks wrapped in a paper towel (not sure of the brand, it's tough enough you can't tear it with your hands). I took the tb off when I did it so the extra gunk wouldn't end up somewhere it shouldn't. I also used some thread to floss around the edges of the flap since you can't move it on your own. Worked great! We just bought ours a couple of weeks ago knowing it had this issue. Was gambling on it just needing a good cleaning. Worked it into our negotiation price just in case. It just had the take off lag, no shifting issues. It now takes off nice and easy with just a little throttle. 04 4.6 here as well.

Back