'05 Explorer (V6) Transmission | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'05 Explorer (V6) Transmission

arthur106

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer V6
Howdy,

I have an '05 Explorer (V6) with approximately 125k miles. It has original engine and factory rebuilt transmission (replaced at approximately 80k miles).

For a long time now, I have noticed that the rpm's shoot up while cruising with a constant load on the engine. This happens when I'm in overdrive and cruising around 45-60 MPH. Often it will do it quite erratically and other times it will just do it once. It is not a rough transition, it feels as though something is slipping. The rpm increase does not really come with an increase in power, my speed remains constant throughout the process and I might even say that the gas pedal feels "mushy" (for lack of a better word). It normally happens when the car is completely warmed up (wouldn't even be in OD if this weren't the case), and when the ambient temperature is above approximately 60 F. When it has these episodes, the cruise control will not function (I don't normally use cruise, just for the sake of creating a controlled environment :) ).

A year and a half ago, I took it into the dealer and they diagnosed the problem as "servo bore for OD band caused piston to stick" and they replaced the OD servo piston and shift solenoid. This involved disassembling the tranny and replacing the fluid.

If I'm having this issue, I can disable the OD and the rpms will permanently shoot up and I won't have this issue. The rpm increase when I disable the OD is very similar to the rpm increase when the car has one of its "episodes".

I have two theories:

1.) The torque converter clutch is malfunctioning. This would explain the rpm increase and why it doesn't happen with OD off (TCC doesn't lock up unless the car is in OD, right???). I don't know if this would be a clutch issue, solenoid, sensor, etc. Any ideas?

2.) Problem with the car going between 4th and OD. Biggest problem with this theory is that this is what the problem was originally diagnosed as and their attempt to fix it failed.

Does anyone have anything to add to this? Any ideas as to what exactly could be wrong and how I could diagnose it? What repairs are available?

torque converter locks in 4th and 5th. I use 4th and locked tc for climbing the hills around here. The tc is an extremely high stall in these explorers.

Back