05' Explorer XLT 4.0 Front Differential Help Please | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05' Explorer XLT 4.0 Front Differential Help Please

jdbigham5

Reaction score
City, State
Kansas City
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 Ford Explorer XLT
Here's my situation. I've had the Explorer for a little over a year now. Bought it for $1,300 in alright running condition. Since I've bought it I've put in almost $2,000 into it. From all the tune up needs spark plugs, spark plugs wires, air filter, oil, oil filter, and also things that needed to be replaced or things that ended up going bad so replaced them as they went bad which was brakes, alternator, 2 water pumps, radiator, radiator hoses, 2 different types of thermostats, about 12 gallons of antifreeze between replacing the parts I named for the cooling system, idler tensioner assembly, pulleys, upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets and heater core stop leak because both the front and rear heater core need to be replaced. As of about 3 1/2 weeks ago kept hearing a low growl that gradually got louder. About the 4th day in since hearing the low him to a low growl turned into grinding like if the brake pads were bad. Determined that the front driver side wheel hub was going bad. So I bought a new driver side wheel hub and replaced it. At least I thought that's where to sound came from. Well it's still doing the same thing. So I took it to firestone for an inspection they told me drivetrain, meaning transmission. I said it's definitely not the transmission because it shifts fine. Told me to take it to transmission shop. So I took it to certified transmission shop and they told me it was my front differential. That it was completely dry. They put fluid in and said they didn't want it locking up leaving their shop. It didn't grind or make any noise for a 45min drive then the noise and the grinding was back. So I have a leak. Shop said probably around $1000 to get used and labor and probably $1,200 new and labor. Now I'm at the point where I don't have any money saved up. I just started getting back on my feet. There's someone willing to help out but they want to know if it's worth fixing or if they should just help get another vehicle. Any advice? Is it worth it getting a new one, is it worth getting a used one, is it worth it to have shop deal with it or is it worth it for me to deal with it. I've never done anything like that before and either has my Dad but he's a good parts replacer. That's what he calls himself and not a mechanic but parts replacer.

Here's my situation. I've had the Explorer for a little over a year now. Bought it for $1,300 in alright running condition. Since I've bought it I've put in almost $2,000 into it. From all the tune up needs spark plugs, spark plugs wires, air filter, oil, oil filter, and also things that needed to be replaced or things that ended up going bad so replaced them as they went bad which was brakes, alternator, 2 water pumps, radiator, radiator hoses, 2 different types of thermostats, about 12 gallons of antifreeze between replacing the parts I named for the cooling system, idler tensioner assembly, pulleys, upper intake manifold gaskets, valve cover gaskets and heater core stop leak because both the front and rear heater core need to be replaced. As of about 3 1/2 weeks ago kept hearing a low growl that gradually got louder. About the 4th day in since hearing the low him to a low growl turned into grinding like if the brake pads were bad. Determined that the front driver side wheel hub was going bad. So I bought a new driver side wheel hub and replaced it. At least I thought that's where to sound came from. Well it's still doing the same thing. So I took it to firestone for an inspection they told me drivetrain, meaning transmission. I said it's definitely not the transmission because it shifts fine. Told me to take it to transmission shop. So I took it to certified transmission shop and they told me it was my front differential. That it was completely dry. They put fluid in and said they didn't want it locking up leaving their shop. It didn't grind or make any noise for a 45min drive then the noise and the grinding was back. So I have a leak. Shop said probably around $1000 to get used and labor and probably $1,200 new and labor. Now I'm at the point where I don't have any money saved up. I just started getting back on my feet. There's someone willing to help out but they want to know if it's worth fixing or if they should just help get another vehicle. Any advice? Is it worth it getting a new one, is it worth getting a used one, is it worth it to have shop deal with it or is it worth it for me to deal with it. I've never done anything like that before and either has my Dad but he's a good parts replacer. That's what he calls himself and not a mechanic but parts replacer.
JD, mine is a 2003 Explorer I’ve sunk a good bit of money and time in her. My rear differential went bad a friend that owns a shop let me work on mine with him. Took us a few hrs because rear is tough and tight fit but we got it after about 4hrs of hard work. It’s not impossible to DIY, I watched YouTube vids and took time. I believe with parts you and your dad can do this...take your time and go slow! It’s definitely worth it if just decide to slowly repair stuff...still working through mine too! 234k miles on my Explorer and still going! Good luck man!

622FA6C5-F09D-471A-9AA9-47209405A656.jpeg

Back