05 Explorer XLt RSC/Advance Trac Many Issues | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Explorer XLt RSC/Advance Trac Many Issues

Andy32225

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Advance Trac RSC
Hello All, New to this Forum so please bear with me. As stated I own a 05 EX XLT V6 RSC/Traction Control. Have a few issues. I did feel the need to swam the forum with many threads so I will post them all here. Thanks for any advice.
1. While driving at any speed,, the slightest touch of the accelerator I hear a distinct whineing noise. It don't matter is I am going up hill or down hille or on level ground. It does it with only myself or a packed truck. Makes no difference of weight in truck. It is quite annoying. I have already replaced the rear wheel bearings and diff was rebuilt. Still the noise remains. It only happens the second I touch the accelerator, meaning the slightest touch of it, the noise returns, I lift off and it goes away.

2. I have NO heat. With the truck running, when I turn the temp dial to heat or actually about the 9-10 oclock position, I hear a clicking noise and a relay or something ticking, all coming from behind the dashboard. A/C works fine but not much air flows from the vents. Seems like something is blocked or not switching. Blend door actuator???

3. Every once in a while I lose my ABS/Trac Control. The light comes on and the onboard diagnostics system beeps telling me it turned itself off. It doesn't do it all the time. Driving is not effected at all, I just spin my wheels in rain more :( A bad sensor and if so How do I figure out which one? I have checked connections to the rear ABS sensors, seem to be tight.

4. Drivers side door, again while driving I can hear air coming in but can figure out where it is coming from. When the door is closed it does seem that it dont shut all the way, as it sticks out about 3-4mm from the body seam.

5. Do I need any special equipment to replace the front shocks? I am hearing a noise when when I go over a speed bump a bit faster then I should be going.

6. On the rear liftgate, the plastis just the rear glass has somehow cracked in half just about under the rear whiper arm. Can this be replaced? It is astetically annoying :(

7. A Sealed Transmission?? There is no dipstick visable. How do I flush the tranny and replace fluid or should I just leave it be? That is the only fluid that has yet to be changed since I bought it. I am wondering If I have to evac the tranny thru a cooling line or something?

This again is a 2005 Ford Explorer XLT RSC Advance Trac with about 110k miles. I bought it used when it had about 70k miles. Runs great apart from the above mentioned bugs. Thanks for any answers/help. When replying to a question, please just say like question 4 or something like that. Again Thanks so Much.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2. I have NO heat. With the truck running, when I turn the temp dial to heat or actually about the 9-10 oclock position, I hear a clicking noise and a relay or something ticking, all coming from behind the dashboard. A/C works fine but not much air flows from the vents. Seems like something is blocked or not switching. Blend door actuator???

4. Drivers side door, again while driving I can hear air coming in but can figure out where it is coming from. When the door is closed it does seem that it dont shut all the way, as it sticks out about 3-4mm from the body seam.

5. Do I need any special equipment to replace the front shocks? I am hearing a noise when when I go over a speed bump a bit faster then I should be going.

6. On the rear liftgate, the plastis just the rear glass has somehow cracked in half just about under the rear whiper arm. Can this be replaced? It is astetically annoying :(

7. A Sealed Transmission?? There is no dipstick visable. How do I flush the tranny and replace fluid or should I just leave it be? That is the only fluid that has yet to be changed since I bought it. I am wondering If I have to evac the tranny thru a cooling line or something?

On #2: bad "blend door actuator" for temp issue as others have said, use VIN number ordering new part, ensures you get exact part for your vehicle, Ford is the recommended part but not a must do thing, can go aftermarket on it. You also sound like you have a bad "Air Recirculation door" which is blocking air flow to the dash vents, it falls off of it's hinge points and lays on top of the blower housing blocking blower air flow. There are plenty of past R&R posts on this in the forum archives.

Retrieved a link for you on the Air Recirculation Door. A repair post from "Eyeinthesky", look at the 12th, 13th, and 14th photos. The 12th photo with his hand in the pic, is the location where you can check for and remove the fallen down air recirc door. The door panel is approx. 5 in High by 11 in long (rectangle shape) and would be laying on it's side, just inside the opening of the black plastic blower box he is opening in that pic. His post is a way to repair the air recirc door, more involved repair, but you can remove the failed door by just removing the 4 front screws(2 left, 2 right) to that box by going thru the glove box area. Remove the 4 screws and split the box open and pull out the failed door panel. This will restore your air flow to the dash.

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316624

ON #4, check the door seal gasket, they can pull off(just fitted, not glued in place), may have to use some silicone behind the strip to stick it to the vehicle.

On #5: not shocks, "strut/spring"combo assemblies and it is easier to change the whole strut/spring assembly as one unit rather than separate the struts from the springs. Many like to use the "Strut Tek" Brand from www.primechoiceautoparts.com" and they cost much less than Monroe's, around $75 each. Plenty of past R&R posts on this repair in forum as well. No special equipment needed from what I remember reading about on this job. Note: check the struts to see if they are leaking fluid, if not, they are still good and check for broken springs. My mechanic told me 3rd gen Explorers are known for creaky strut/springs when they get older, but still useable other than the noise. This is a link for the front strut assembly:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=365979

#6: The crack is quite common, something you may have to live with

#7: No Tranny dipstick! Yes, tranny pan fluid can be changed, there are past posts on this in here. The recommendation in here is to change only the pan fluid and fliter, don't do a whole tranny flush and fill. Change the fluid and filter every 30k miles.

Sorry about not having the links to these repairs handy, gotta run out of the house right now, but you can find them easily using the search box at the top of the forum. Just type a question about those subjects into the search box and it will pull up the past posts for those jobs. Good luck!

Advance trac keeps engaging on dry pavement tried turning it of according to owners Manuel still won't shutoff. How do I fix this problem

Back