05 Sport Trac Build/Repair Thread | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Sport Trac Build/Repair Thread

Reaction score
City, State
Chandler, AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Sport Trac
I've decided to use this as my build and repair thread for my lovely Sport Trac. Here I will list any problems I find and check them off as I go, and post pictures of my horrific findings along the way. When I finally come around to modifications, I'll post those in here too. I'll even post the useful threads I find.

Things that need fixing so far in no particular order:

New brakes and rotors all around
Brake booster
Fix wandering gas gauge needle
Control arm bushings
Figure out what's causing the sloppy steering/wandering
Spark plugs
Fuel Filter
Figure out why truck sucks at down shifting
Sticky driver's side door
Loose gas pedal

Good grief, that's quite the list..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First things first. I'll reserve this for the spark plugs. I'm going to pull a couple this weekend if I can and take a look at them. My dad says the dealership supposedly did routine maintenance on it before it was sold, but after the condition I found the water pump and thermostat housing in, I have little faith in them.

Mind you, I'm a bit unfamiliar with this engine still, so any diagrams or whatnot will be much appreciated :)

I know what to ask for on my birthday now. Thank you!

Found a set of control arms, tie rods, AND lower ball joints on eBay for $153.

Once I pass this test for work and get my compensation for it, I might go after them.

Parts: K8708 (1) K80068 (1) K8695 (2) EV81003 (2) ES3667 (2)

They already come with bushings in, which is epic. It makes my job that much easier and hopefully means no major down time.

EBay is good for a lot of things, but no brand parts that your safety is contingent upon is not one of them. Just save the extra dough and get quality parts.

Yeah, I'm a bit hesitant, but it's all I can afford right now, really, and the vibration's getting bad. I bought the control arms for my Supra from eBay and they're doing fine so far, but it might just be luck of the draw, really.

I took a look on Rock Auto and found I can get the control arms with ball joints and bushings in for about $87 total, but they're RAYBESTOS. How is the quality on those? If I got paid weekly, I would dish out more for the Moogs, but sadly, that isn't the case.

Thank you guys for the input and the link. It is much appreciated :)

Back