05 Sport Trac front driver side door doesn’t lock or unlock | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

05 Sport Trac front driver side door doesn’t lock or unlock

Reaction score
City, State
Huntsville
Year, Model & Trim Level
05 Sport Trac
So the driver side door had gradually been acting worse for a couple years now. When I’d try to lock it it would go half way down but not actually lock and sometimes it wouldn’t unlock. Now it just outright refuses to work either way. Seemed like it got worse when the weather started heating up? I don’t know for sure. I’d just like to know what parts I should consider replacing. Unless someone on here has a easier fix.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So the driver side door had gradually been acting worse for a couple years now. When I’d try to lock it it would go half way down but not actually lock and sometimes it wouldn’t unlock. Now it just outright refuses to work either way. Seemed like it got worse when the weather started heating up? I don’t know for sure. I’d just like to know what parts I should consider replacing. Unless someone on here has a easier fix.

It's most likely the door switch. They do go out. However, sometimes the wires leading from the door switch get broken. Some people report that this happens with one or more of the wires leading from the truck's body to the door, through the black plastic boot between the door and the body of the door frame. This is not an uncommon problem.

It's most likely the door switch. They do go out. However, sometimes the wires leading from the door switch get broken. Some people report that this happens with one or more of the wires leading from the truck's body to the door, through the black plastic boot between the door and the body of the door frame. This is not an uncommon problem.

Okay, but I just learned something new. When I put my key and try to roll it over manually it’s slips and doesn’t work. This isn’t a constant thing, but it does happen. Could it be the lock? Could it still be the switch? Could it be both?

You're referring to manual locking and unlocking with the key? If so, first thing I would do is spray Lock-Ease or similar lubricant in the key hole. Also lubricate the door latch while you're there. Other possibilities are a slipping or broken plastic linkage connected to the key cylinder or a linkage rod.

Only way to find out is remove the door panel and inspect.

I replaced the actuator and now it works like a charm. Figured I’d come back with the solution here in case anyone else has this problem.

Back