'05 XLT factory stereo replacement options | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'05 XLT factory stereo replacement options

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
As I posted in another thread I am having a problem with the factory head unit where it won't eject a CD, so I am starting to research the options I have to replace the factory head unit with, as someone put it, a "real stereo".

The factory system I have in my 2005 XLT is a single CD, AM/FM with a sub in the rear hatch panel.

Since I have a limited budget, my main question is whether or not I will be able to utilize the factory sub (and the amp that drives it; I presume it has it's own amp anyway) or not with an aftermarket head unit? For example, is there an aftermarket harness available that will supply a line level signal to the amp that drives the sub? Or will I lose it's capability and be forced to replace the amp/sub or else just forget about a sub altogether until I can afford it?

On a related note, does anyone know the specifics of this audio system in the 2005 XLT? Does the head unit supply all power to the door speakers? Does the sub have it's own amp?

Thanks in advance!

AM_Dew - I don't know about the 05's, I have an 06. Mine has an amp for the subwoofer but the other speakers are powered directly from the HU. Its funny, i wanted to tell you on your last post to look at your broken CD player as an opportunity to get a "real" stereo in your car. Use search and look around. There are many examples of what other guys did and links to sites where you can purchase equipment.

Good luck!
________
ps3 jailbreak

Back