• Register Today It's free!

'05 XLT suspension squeak

Am_Dew

Reaction score
City, State
Somehere in Northern CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 Limited
I just bought a 2005 XLT 4.0 4WD with 34K miles on it. I did not notice this when I test drove it, but now I hear a slight squeaking noise when I go over bumps, in and out of driveways, or any other time the suspension is exercised. Is this something to be overly concerned about or is it fairly normal? The vehicle handles and drives nicely...much tighter and solid feeling than my old '96 XLT V8.

Thanks!
Bob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Check the cable that holds up the spare tire. If it is not tight, the spare squeaks against the body. It tightens with the lug wrench and is located inside at the rear under the floor cover.

Thanks! I will check it.

Most likely rear sway bar bushings. Ours went early on our '02.

I'll 2nd the Sway Bar Bushings. Had mine replaced a year ago when it was making the same noise over bumps. Haven't heard any noises since.

Mike

As Old As Dirt recommended, I checked the spare tire and tightened it until the bolt "slipped" (as per the instruction manual, it cannot be tightened too much and will slip when it's as tight as possible) and the squeaking has gone away.

Thanks everyone for your replies.

My wife has a '05 with 33000 miles and has had he same problem. The dealer will be reaplacing the front sway bar end links next week. They said that they were real dry and cracking. So I would agree with the others and check that next.

Back