• Register Today It's free!

06-11 ranger mirror question

Redneckfordf250

Reaction score
City, State
Backwoods of AZ
Year, Model & Trim Level
94Explorer 96ranger
Not sure if this belongs here but I was looking at parts for the ranger last night and saw the 06+ mirrors for the ranger and was thinking with the squareness of the 1st gen explorer and the squareness of the 06+ ranger mirrors I think they would look good on a first gen. So my question was has anybody put 06+ ranger mirrors on a 1st gen explorer? I know you would have to modify the harness but the rest I am curious on.
Trav

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The Explorer mirrors (and doors) were pretty much the same for the model years through 2001/2003 or so, but the 2006 Ranger mirror mounts might be closer to fitting the 2002-2010 Explorer body style.

One sure way to find out if they are a direct swap is to go to a salvage yard and pull them from a Ranger and try them on an older Explorer or Ranger.

Not too many people swap mirrors since they have wiring harnesses and as the options have changed over the years, plus the different options for different trim levels, and the lack of wiring for options on lower trim levels (rather than all trim levels having the wiring for all options, even if not equipped), it can be a hassle to get mirrors to work, and working stock mirrors are usually better than non-working non-stock mirrors.

Even if they don't swap directly, it can also be possible to seperate the mirror half from the mounting half since the mirrors do pivot, and use just the '06 mirror on the stock '94 base, as long as that pivot mount is the same.

It may also be possible to even swap in the '94 motor and wiring, if the '06 mirror glass pops on to the '94 mirror mount.

I was thinking about putting them on my 2nd gen :D

Seems like Rangers never got heated mirrors though. And I'd like to keep my mirrors toasty

Ok well if I can find two sets of 06-11 mirrors (need one for the 96 ranger) then I will have to look at doing that. I was just curious as I figured it would look good.
Trav

One sure way to find out if they are a direct swap is to go to a salvage yard and pull them from a Ranger and try them on an older Explorer or Ranger.

I think he could have figured that out on his own!

I think Anime meant on an older Ex that is in the junkyard. I have done this at pick-n-pull type places myself, very helpful!

-Jake

I was going to do this mod on my '03 Sport Trac, just never got around to it. FYI, (not sure about the 1st Gen Ex's) but the 1st Gen ST shares the same mirror as the 2nd Gen Explorer, '01-03 Ex Sport, '97-01 Mountaineer, the wiring pigtails can vary depending if the mirror has heat or not.

Here's a link to TRS where a member there did this swap without drilling new holes into the doors. Not sure if the Ranger and Ex, ST, Mounty share the same mirror mounting peg holes but it's definitely worth a shot.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=113290

There's been one or two members that have. They'll chyme in eventually.

If you follow the how to in the link I added you can do it, not too hard. I just haven't gotten around to doing the swap yet. Too many other projects and no funds right now.

Back