06 4.0 noise. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 4.0 noise.

frankjc

Reaction score
City, State
Massachusetts
Year, Model & Trim Level
Any ideas what this noise is? Seems to be coming from the driver's side.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

my first guess would be timing chains. Have you done any other tests? Does the sound get worse with rpm?

Yep timing tensioner don't run it like that even at idle

It actually sounds worse today. Doesn't get better when vehicle warms up, or when RPMs change. It's a shame, just put a reman trans in it less than a year ago.

Pull the valve covers and have a look

It's actually my kids girlfriends car. They had it looked at and were told thousands of dollars to fix it. Probably going to buy something else.

Feel the dipstick and see if it feels like it's hitting something. The dipstick can get bent in a way that it hits the counterweight on the crankshaft and makes a similar noise.

Most likely it's the timing chains though.

My 08 Explorer has a similar type noise. My wife mainly drives it. Noise only happens when a/c compressor engaged.... sounds almost like a diesel knock.....

I didn't talk to the mechanic that looked at it, my son said he took something apart and looked at something. He couldn't remember what he said. My son doesn't remember what he said, and he doesn't know a lot about cars. I think they are going see if anyone will take it in trade. If not it would make a nice parts or repair vehicle.

What is a reasonable amount to pay for a job like this. Surely it has to be cheaper than buying another car.

Starting price would be around $ 2,000 I would guess.....to do the timing.
Anybody had it actually done by a shop ?

I havent had it done but a quote from the ford dealership last year was just over $3k for all 4 timing chains.

I charge $1k labor to install chains on a 4.0. Quality parts can be another grand.

They could possibly buy a lower mileage used engine if there’s one to be had and have it swapped in.

Close to impossible. That engine was last produced in 2010. Most of the used ones have close to 100k or more and buying one would be like Russian roulette.
A local engine rebuilder close by in NJ has them for $2,500. New long block from Ford is about $ 3,500.
That why people just toss them away or junk entire cars just because of chains...
Sad.

It might be worth a look, I did a quick search on Car-parts.com and found a several between 19,000 and 75,000 miles. The one that has 19k on it they’re asking $1250. Of course it’ll also depend on your location and if you want to pay to have it shipped.

Thanks Mitch -
I'd snatch the 19k one even with the shipping if I were at that point.

BoominX -
$1k covers pulling the engine out and replacing the chain and guides ?
What would you say are quality parts; Ford OEM or is there an aftermarket supplier that is reliable (Cloyes ???) ?

PS: I forgot we have members who are actualy in the business as opposed to most of us who deal with the issues with a limited knowledge :)

It depends on the car if it’s worth fixing. If it’s clean, rust free, and in good working order it might be worth dropping 2,500 on.

I’d surely not consider putting in another SOHC without replacing the timing components, no matter what the mileage is.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks Mitch -
I'd snatch the 19k one even with the shipping if I were at that point.

BoominX -
$1k covers pulling the engine out and replacing the chain and guides ?
What would you say are quality parts; Ford OEM or is there an aftermarket supplier that is reliable (Cloyes ???) ?

PS: I forgot we have members who are actualy in the business as opposed to most of us who deal with the issues with a limited knowledge :)

Go Ford timing parts all the way on the 4.0. Cloyes is 2nd best but recently had to tear back down a 4.0 before it could leave the shop and I just did chains & guides using cloyes parts (you can see the cloyes box in the pic).

Problem was the balancer had a small shake to it and I was near positive it didn't have it before. I swapped the balancer with a low mile one I had on the shelf with no change. The problem was the gear for the balance shaft chain that goes on the crank. It was just a hair thicker at the key to where it wouldn't seat all the way. I swapped the factory gears back in and the balancer was straight as could be. Of course doing so requires to retime the motor and striping it down ect so that was an entire day lost......

IMG_20181120_200944.jpg

Back