06 4X4 Explorer how to disengage 4X4 low | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 4X4 Explorer how to disengage 4X4 low

bks691

Reaction score
City, State
USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer XLT 4x4
I really enjoy this forum however I can't find the answer to this question. In the owners guide it says to push the 4X4low button again to disengage it... but it doesn't disengage. The only way I can get it to disengage is to press the 4X4 Auto button is this normal? By the way it's a 2006 V6 4X4 AdvanceTrac with Roll Stability Control, Control trac

Thanks in advance,
Heidi :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome! :) So when you have the vehicle in neutral, it won't change back to 4x4auto? It's stuck in 4x4lo?

Well, it will go back to 4Auto if I press the button for 4Auto. Is that the correct way to shift it out of 4 Low?

Thanks

Yes, you can only get into 4lo by being in neutral with the vehicle stopped; and the reverse to get out of 4lo. Not 4hi, that's just hitting the button at safe speeds, conditions, etc (65mph and under you can switch in to 4hi) and then back to 4auto.

:) You're welcome! Just curious, how did you get in 4lo? Were you off road?

Yes, I was off road and needed to shift into 4lo so I did. After I didn't need it anymore I stopped put it in nuetral and pressed the 4lo button to disengage it but nothing happend. So then I just hit the 4Auto button and that's when the 4lo disengaged.

Got it... thanks! :)

Back