06 Explorer 4.6L sputter and hesitates in OD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer 4.6L sputter and hesitates in OD

Stanggman50

Reaction score
City, State
Sterling, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Explorer Limited 4.6
All...I'm new to this forum, but hoping someone can help out or may have had a similar issue and can share their experience.

I have a 2006 Explorer 4.6L with 84K miles. At around 74K miles it began stuttering when I was in over-drive going anywhere from 45 - 65 mph and usually up a slite incline. Initially I thought it was transmission related, but when I took it into the dealer the technician immediately thought it was a misfire. The car is under warranty (Ford extended warranty) through 105K miles. They replaced two coils and it ran fine for two days until the problem came back again.

I took it back to the dealer and they replaced two more coils on different cylinders. Again, it ran fine for two days and the problem resurfaced. I took it back this last time expecting to replace more coils but now they think it's due to the spark plugs and they want $800 to change them, and I'm not sure if that includes additional labor if they break any of them.

A few questions:

1) Is it possible that plugs with 84K miles could cause this? It seems plausable to me, but the plugs are rated to 100K miles.

2) $800 seems outragous to replace plugs. I'm fairly decent at basic auto repair. I've done a lot of work on older (87 - 93) mustangs, including freeze plugs, water pumps, alternators, rack & pinions. Is this something the average person could tackle? I've read up on the spark plug removal process; to take your time 1/4 turn at a time and use plenty of lubricant. I have all day this weekend to work on this, is this feasible?

3) Has anyone else had a similar issue and what resolved it?

Thanks again. Any input is appreciated.

-Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would check your fuel filter. that was the problem with mine at around 100 K. happened uphill under load.

$800 is way high. Most people report that dealer parts and labor to change V8 plugs is more in the $300 to $350 range. I would try a different dealer or shop.

I would check your fuel filter. that was the problem with mine at around 100 K. happened uphill under load.

Thanks for the responses. I think I'm going to try the plugs and fuel filter this weekend.

Is the fuel filter located under the front passenger door and is it easily accessible? Can the average do-it-yourselft tackle this one too?

I'll follow-up with what worked, going to try the filter first and then the plugs.

I agree, the $750 was very high. Another local GoodYear wanted $450 for the plugs plus an add'l $105 for each one they broke...up to $1,300...crazy.

Fuel filter is underneath. i got my local shop to do it and he had it done quick. the part was only $17

Late model Crown Vics with the same motor experience the same issue. If I remember correctly it has to do with the tranny. I don't remember what the exact issue is, but if I come across it I'll post a reply.

I just experienced the same issue with the hesitation (4.6L) and used my code reader to determine where the problem was. That narrowed it down to specific cylinder but not the cause. I decided to change the coil and that worked, for a day and then the hesitation was back. After deliberating I decide to pay the Quick Lane at Ford to replace the spark plugs ($380). They said there was random misfires because of worn plugs. Runs perfect now!

I know this thread is old, but I'm searching another issue and saw this one. I had the same experience, "bucking" is what I called it and happened when accelerating, mostly at an incline. I changed out all 8 coil packs and the issue was resolved.

I wanted to add my story to this old thread, because I am experiencing similar issues with my 07 Trac Limited. Here were my symptoms...

1) hesitation/bucking while driving anywhere from 35-50mph
2) lean codes: 0171, 0174
3) an occasional rich code: 0172
4) multiple misfire code: 300
5) hesitation/bucking seemed to stop or subside under high/full throttle

I had already replaced my stock park plugs and fuel filter, so I watched the codes closely and waited. Finally, a specific cylinder misfire code (302 ...#2 cylinder) began to pop up on a regular basis (once per trip), so I replaced its coil pack immediately. Truck ran great for a day or two then the hesitation came back ..although, not as severe or frequent. Now I am getting an occasional code 300 (multiple misfire) and the hesitation is becoming more frequent per trip. I have the remaining 7 coil packs on order, and I will update once I have installed them.

Update: It's been about 9 days since I installed the remaining 7 coil packs, and 95% of the problems I reported are gone.

There is still an occasional hesitation/buck. It's only occurred once or twice in the past week, and it's very brief ...not nearly as severe as it was prior to the coil pack replacement. It may be a sign of other problems, but for now, my Trac is running much, much better.

I just recently got the dreaded air bag light with an audible chime (either a low battery or my kid kicked the cables under the drivers seat). I haven't seen the light come back since, so I'm not too concerned ...but like everything else, I'll have to keep an eye on it. Betty's not gettin' any younger!

Back