06 Explorer gas cap light on dash but no check engine | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer gas cap light on dash but no check engine

se9303

Reaction score
City, State
Arlington, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Ford Explorer
Greetings to all

I have come across the isuue in which the gas cap light has come on the dash of my 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L. There is no check engine light and after installing a brand new motorcraft gas cap, the light is still on. Strangely, everytime i remove the gas cap to fill the gas tank, when i try to start the vehice, it will studder and not start upon several tries until it starts up. I sometimes prime the fuel pump (turn ignition from off to on several times) and sometimes it starts up on first crank. This startup issue only happens when i remove the gas cap.

As mentioned before, there is no check engine light, and the gas cap light turns on during initial startup and turns off.

What should i check/inspect to find the solution to this issue.

I ran Foracan software and there are no engine codes. Where and what do i start checking?

id check if the filler neck has any rust holes in the tube going to the tank

Greetings to all

I have come across the isuue in which the gas cap light has come on the dash of my 2006 Ford Explorer 4.0L. There is no check engine light and after installing a brand new motorcraft gas cap, the light is still on. Strangely, everytime i remove the gas cap to fill the gas tank, when i try to start the vehice, it will studder and not start upon several tries until it starts up. I sometimes prime the fuel pump (turn ignition from off to on several times) and sometimes it starts up on first crank. This startup issue only happens when i remove the gas cap.

As mentioned before, there is no check engine light, and the gas cap light turns on during initial startup and turns off.

What should i check/inspect to find the solution to this issue.

I ran Foracan software and there are no engine codes. Where and what do i start checking?
Which is it, does the gas cap light stay on while driving, or is it on just during the initial self test at start up?

Back