06 Explorer Interior Lights Problem | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer Interior Lights Problem

madxtreme01

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 ford explorer
I purchased a 06 Explorer recently and when unlocking the doors, the entry lights never came on, but the interior lights lit when opening the door. The dimmer switch didn't work, as in when you adjusted the brightness up and down the brightness on the dash didn't change. I ended up replacing the radio to install a gps system. That works fine, but now my interior lights won't work and I'm not sure if it's related or not. I uninstalled the radio and reinstalled the factory one as a test, but had no change. I called my local ford dealer and replaced the dimmer switch. No change, it still does not dim my lights. I have reset the truck by removing the negative battery cable, I have checked all fuses, and cleaned all of the door triggers. My dash lights up correctly when a door is open indicating which door and it goes out once the door closes. I have narrowed it down to a few things, but I can't seem to differentiate between them to diagnose it further. It has an aftermarket remote start and keyless entry. That also at times has problems, but I'm not sure if it's related either. When you press the unlock button, the doors don't unlock but the lights flash indicating the truck is getting the signal. The door keypad doesn't always work either and has the same problem. You sometimes have to put the code in 3 or 4 times for it to work. I think it could also be the smart junction box that is bad or I have read there is a lighting junction box in the truck somewhere that is apparently under the drivers side dash somewhere. Please help!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aftermarket remote start and keyless entry systems are known to cause finicky electrical issues on any newer automobile when they are not installed correctly and is why professional installation is highly recommended anymore and sometimes the professional installers still get it wrong. I would take a very close look at the system that is installed and verify that it is correctly done and compatible with the vehicle.

It was installed years ago, it did work perfectly when they had it installed. I pulled the boxes that control the system but did not fully uninstall it. It still had the same issues. I didn't know if that was enough to test the issue

Ok, so I have uninstalled my remote start today and everything still didn't work. I reinstalled the old dimmer switch and it all started working again (apparently the dealer sold me the wrong switch)

I suspect that the remote start unit was starting to fail and causing issues since the old dimmer switch is working fine now. I guess that I should have expanded my statement to include failing remote start units; I missed that point since you stated that you had just purchased it. One of the toughest things to troubleshoot is an electrical system that is acting up on a vehicle that has an aftermarket remote start setup in it.

Back