06 explorer radiator leaking

mtrExplorer

Reaction score
City, State
saint clair shores ,michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer
just discovered a leak on my 2006 explorer eddie bauer 4.6 litre V8
wondering is this a pain to change out? any special tools req.?
been hearing this is a common problem with my year explorer.
thanks.

Its a bit of a pain but you can do it with some basic hand tools. Plan for atleast 4-6 hours, maybe less if you're experienced. I had mine replaced at 95k due to a leak. Then the new one started leaking from the fittings shortly after. Then the replacement they sent me had the wrong fittings so they leaked. Finally got it fixed though. The radiator on this thing isn't cheap.

mtrExplorer, if the leak is small you may try to use leak stop pellets. I had radiator leak issue few years back and put those pellets in. It did stop the leak and it hasn't started leaking ever since, even after the coolant was flushed earlier this year. Maybe I was just lucky?

By the way, there is a lengthy radiator thread somewhere in this forum that should answer all your questions which you haven't even asked yet... :)

I have 2006 EB with v8. Mine started leaking at 150k miles. Got a replacement from Amazon or ebay for $ 190.
Took me about 5 hours, when I had it out I cut some of the plastic brackets at the bottom since they make that job a PITA.

I am at 188k and no single drop of antifreeze.

PS: It took me much longer because at the same time I changed upper and lower hose, and thermostat. The upper hose is another PITA to hook up.

Back