06 Explorer transmission service. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Explorer transmission service.

vanderj3

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
06 Explorer
Hello, wondering when I should service the transmission on a 2006 Ford Explorer. The manual says 150k which is crazy - in the past I have serviced very 50k or so. I'm heading out west for a long trip and wanted to inquire on changing the trans fluid. I have 67k miles (all original fluids), don't really go off-roading, and the most I tow is a snowmobile trailer. I'd do this myself but I just don't have the time anymore. The dealer quoted $195 for pan drop, new filter, and a fluid change, which seemed high to me. Other private mechanics quoted $250+.

Does anyone know if the Ford dealer will use new fuild, and is it OEM specified? Do they flush or just drop the pan? You can never trust those guys it seems, they are out for your money and that's it, which is probably why they say 150k miles for a trans service so you pay for a new trans instead of the maintenance...

Also, what about differential and transfer case fluid change intervals?

I'd appreciate any helpful feedback!

Welcome to this forum! I've moved your thread into the transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials section. Replace the fluid every 30k miles or 15k miles when off roading or towing. Check the other fluids when you replace the transmission fluid to see if they need to be replaced at the same time.

Back