'06 Key Stuck In Ignition - Shifter Button NG | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

'06 Key Stuck In Ignition - Shifter Button NG

bman289

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Limited
Hope someone's run into this one before...

The ignition key won't come out of the ignition switch in my 06 Explorer, and the button on the automatic shifter handle won't depress at all (like it's stuck in the "squeezed" position - you can freely move the shifter from one gear to another without pressing the button). I'm guessing there is a switch in the shifter (like the old neutral safety switches) that has died and is preventing the key from being pulled out of the ignition.

Anyone have an idea of the fix?

This thing only has 23,000 miles on it...think this is covered under manufacturer warranty? Love the vehicle but hopefully this isn't what I've got to look forward to with it...

Thanks in advance,
Bman

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

did you already check the brake-switch and wiring ? Heared about similar probs on the sec.gen´s - engine can be started but no shifting possible when brakelight-switch connector is pulled off.

Yeah - Looks like it's the harness in the shifter. There's supposed to be a TSB out about it. Sounds like it should be a warranty issue... will keep ya posted.

take off the center cons. by removing the 2 screws at the top under the armrest and take off the chrome bezel and pull up and the assemble is exposed. then there should be a little piece that moves back and forth on the right side that should make a noise when you push the brake. then play with that piece and it should unfree you. mine did that a couple times so i took it to ford and they put in a new one.

IIRC there is a release in the cupholder (under the insert) that will bypass the brake interlock so the key can be removed until it is fixed permanently.

Key

New user here. I have a 2006 Eddie Bauer, and I had the same issue, A Pin inside of the shifter broke, from what the dealership said, the whole shifter needed to be replaced. So they did, and it was under warranty. so no cost to my pocket, and if i remember correctly, the bill was a little over $800. good thing I didn't pay for that.

Back