06 Kia Sorento engine fire today!

joney

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Eau Claire WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
1998 Explorer XLT4x4 SOHC
Yikes, my relative's 06 Kia Sorento just had an engine fire today, Her daughter had just driven it about 11 mi. to work, turned it off and went inside. Security told her, 'There's a car on fire in the parking lot!" and it was the one she had just gotten out of minutes before. I noted from Car Complaints.com that the 07 -09 Sorentos were Recalled for such a problem. How can I find out, if this 06 had the newer components that were later recalled? Bought it new, last one on the lot in January So grateful she wasn't sitting in the car when it caught fire!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

got the vin? go to the nhtsa and put it in to see if there is arecall open for it. when was the recall? here in cali at least you cant sell nothin with a recall

also, glad to hear everyone is alright!!! car fires are scary, hope it never happens to me (or at least if it does, make it when im not in the vehicle) above all, though, glad everyonme is alright! vehicles are replacable, lives arent... you only get one chance... :( unfortunately we are not cats w/ 9 lives

got the vin? go to the nhtsa and put it in to see if there is arecall open for it. when was the recall? here in cali at least you cant sell nothin with a recall
They're going to text me the VIN, sadly they also own a 2012 Sorento. Thanks for your reply, SO glad her daughter got OUT of the truck right after parking it. I hate electronic locks.

They're going to text me the VIN, sadly they also own a 2012 Sorento.
alright! let me know your findings!!! where you are, just curious, is it legal to sell anything with an open recall?

alright! let me know your findings!!! where you are, just curious, is it legal to sell anything with an open recall?
Well, my 98 EX had a recall - for the cruise control switch! Trouble is the recall was in 09, so old even Ford doesn't recall the recall, and I bought it last year from a private party. Still not sure if it was repaired, I should probably just put a new switch on it and not worry!

Well, my 98 EX had a recall - for the cruise control switch! Trouble is the recall was in 09, so old even Ford doesn't recall the recall, and I bought it last year from a private party. Still not sure if it was repaired, I should probably just put a new switch on it and not worry!
hmm, the nhtsa shows the recall for mine as repaired, so maube if you put your vin in it would show? it appears its still relavent to nhtsa

Back