06+ Limited owners: what's your MPG? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06+ Limited owners: what's your MPG?

ExplorerXLT95

Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 XLT 4.0 SOHC
Just found a 2006 Ford Explorer Limited for a great price and I just want to see what some other 2006+ Limited owners see for gas mileage?

ANYTHING has to be better than my 2000 XLT (~13mpg w/ K&N FIPK!!).

Any information would be very much appreciated!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

16-18 going by the on board computer, never checked based on fill up and miles driven.
So, enquiring minds want to know, what's the good price for the 06 limited? Options? Miles?
-Art 06 Ltd

16-18 going by the on board computer, never checked based on fill up and miles driven.
So, enquiring minds want to know, what's the good price for the 06 limited? Options? Miles?
-Art 06 Ltd

31k miles, 4WD, navigation, MP3/CD player, OEM chrome wheels, heated (driver&passenger) leather seats, trailer hitch, tire pressure monitoring system, electronic stability control, privacy glass: asking $16k

Sounded good to me. CarFax is CLEAN and 1 owner. Good deal, right?

31k miles, 4WD, navigation, MP3/CD player, OEM chrome wheels, heated (driver&passenger) leather seats, trailer hitch, tire pressure monitoring system, electronic stability control, privacy glass: asking $16k

:confused: thats an amazing deal

Sounds like a new loaded Explorer for only $16K. What motor does it have?

Great deal. Jump on that. That is a nice vehicle for 16k.
The ltd has 18" wheels. The chrome wheels are plated plastic covers over steel wheels. Don't let that sway you, though, they are still nice looking. There have been a few members posting of peeling chrome, but it doesn't seem to be wide spread. My wheels are fine at 20k miles.
-Art

The ltd has 18" wheels. The chrome wheels are plated plastic covers over steel wheels. Don't let that sway you, though, they are still nice looking. There have been a few members posting of peeling chrome, but it doesn't seem to be wide spread. My wheels are fine at 20k miles.
-Art

Wheels can always be replaced with better aftermarket ones :D

-Art

It's sad that exactly 1 year ago I paid 25K "out the door" for my 06 Limited and that was a great price since the book on it was 30K. F'ing gas price :fire:

Just paid $22,500.00 for my 2007 Eddie Bauer. Loaded with everything but DVD and Navigation. 13,000 miles. Satisfied so far. 14k off new list.

So far my low mpg is 13.7 when I am only doing local driving. It goes up to 15-16 when I can mix in some interstate driving. My interstate average is 21. I just came back from a trip to Charlotte, NC from Virginia Beach, VA.

I am goinmg to change to a K&N air filter. My previous 98 Explorer XLT with V6 seemd to get a little better mileage with that system.

Just got to Florida from Michigan. Averaged 17.2 mpg. Luggage bag on top, The back full of my grandkids toy chest full of toys an junk, the wife and two grandkids. I'm gonna pump up the tire pressure to 40 psi, remove the luggage rack crossbars. Plus I'll just have one suitcase and the wife on the way back so hopefully get a few more mpg's. Any other tips?

Nitrogen

I put nitrogen in my tires. I do not know at this point how much difference it will make. Supposedly, the air pressrue will stay more consistent.

I drove the speed limit throughout my entire trip. I stayed on cruise as much as possible. I also run the A/C all the time.

Well,
On my way back from florida today between ocala and Chatanooga I got 25.4 mpg. I set the cruise at 64 mph. It was interesting having everyone passing me for a change. That stretch is a little hilly so it'll be interesting what I get in Indiana at that speed. I think that's pretty good for a 4x4 v-8

Indiana stretch of my trip

When we went through the flatlands if indy we were able to attain 27.2 mpg at 65 mph on cruise. If they ever lowered the speed limit to 55 again this thing would probably be able to get 30+ mpg no problem. It's amazing to get that kind of economy from a V-8 SUV by just taking your foot out of it a little. The numbers were calculated real dividing miles by gallons, not just a read off the dash. The dash computer was close but rounds up.

Also keep in mind that mileage is going to change depending on altitude too. Here in Colorado we are a mile above sea level and mileage is lower. I have the v8 and get about 16 in town and close to 20 on interstate doing 80mph (I have a heavy foot most times). That sounds like a hell of a deal though. I got my 07 EB a few months ago for $24k. It's loaded (heated windshield, power running boards, dual climate) except for nav, dvd and bucket second row.

I know you were looking for limited owners but i have an 06 XLT V6 which other than cosmetics they are basically the same so, here it goes.
My average mileage per tank is usually about 19mpg.
I average 16-18city
I average 24 highway.
My best highway is 29mpg, thats at 65mph with the cruise control on, and NO HILLS.

As a side note i own a 4x4.

I have an '06 Limited with the V8. Loaded with everything except DVD and Nav. So add the weight of the power 3rd row and rear heat and all the other stuff that hurts mileage. My driving is rural city which I describe as 0-60 and then back to 0. Driving normal I'm in the mid 17's. Heavy footed I'm in the low 16's.

08 Mountaineer Premier with power 3rd row, NAV, all that stuff. According to the computer I get around 18 with mixed driving. However, It will usually read that I've used fewer gallons than what it takes to fill it up. Last time I think the car said I used 19.8 gal and it took 21.3 gal in the tank.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Mpg

08 Limited Explorer fully loaded. My trip meter is within 1/10th of a gallon correct each time I fill up. I continue to check my mileage and it is fairly consistent at 13.5 local and up to 21-22 highway depending on how long I stay on cruise. I do not exceed the posted speed limit for the most part.

Part of my problem is that I am in stop and go traffic most of the time.

Back