06 Lincoln Navigator Bucking really bad on acceleration | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Lincoln Navigator Bucking really bad on acceleration

Explorer0204

Reaction score
City, State
Upstate NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
04 Explorer XLT
Hey guys,

My momma's got an 06 Lincoln Navigator with the 3v 5.4L V8 in it with 93k miles. The spark plugs were replaced with one piece units (forget the brand) about 10k miles ago or so. the fuel filter is also only about 15k miles or so old.

Symptoms: Driving around with the engine cold it seems to run fine. Good power, pulls like a freight train through the gears like normal.

Then, when the engine gets warm (coolant gauge goes to the middle) it idles decently and accelerates slowly ok. But, acceleration from a stop sign it will almost stall, recover and keep jerking until you let off the gas. You can hold it in a gear and force it to accelerate if you do it slowly enough. If I stab the gas real hard I can make it stall almost every time.

No codes either...
I have ran seafoam through it and dry gas so far with no change.

My plan tomorrow is:
Clean throttle body
clean maf sensor
check/clean/replace air filter
I'll go from there. I want to do those things anyway and even though they are a long shot I figure they are worth doing.

My thoughts on what may be wrong:
Coil(s) I know they are pretty common in the Triton motors.
Plugs...even though they are new
Fuel Pump?

Hey guys,

My momma's got an 06 Lincoln Navigator with the 3v 5.4L V8 in it with 93k miles. The spark plugs were replaced with one piece units (forget the brand) about 10k miles ago or so. the fuel filter is also only about 15k miles or so old.

Symptoms: Driving around with the engine cold it seems to run fine. Good power, pulls like a freight train through the gears like normal.

Then, when the engine gets warm (coolant gauge goes to the middle) it idles decently and accelerates slowly ok. But, acceleration from a stop sign it will almost stall, recover and keep jerking until you let off the gas. You can hold it in a gear and force it to accelerate if you do it slowly enough. If I stab the gas real hard I can make it stall almost every time.

No codes either...
I have ran seafoam through it and dry gas so far with no change.

My plan tomorrow is:
Clean throttle body
clean maf sensor
check/clean/replace air filter
I'll go from there. I want to do those things anyway and even though they are a long shot I figure they are worth doing.

My thoughts on what may be wrong:
Coil(s) I know they are pretty common in the Triton motors.
Plugs...even though they are new
Fuel Pump?

Do you have a fix for this?

Probably a bad coil. There's one on top of each plug.

Back