06 lurching in drive & Trac. light | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 lurching in drive & Trac. light

flathead

Reaction score
City, State
Michigan
Year, Model & Trim Level
03 XLS 2 door
On a 06 XLT 4x4 4.0. I was backing up out of the driveway got a couple hesitations, when I got to the street and put it in drive (2 wheel) it sort of went into and out of gear and made a clunking noise then the traction control light came on. I was able to get it back to the garage after the traction light went off. Also a clue might be a few weeks ago the wrench warning light was on but did not come back on after the Explorer was shut off. Any ideas??

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to have a obd2 scanner that can read all the ford modules. Usually when a light comes on it stores a code in the system. My recommendation is a obdlink mx bluetooth adapter and forscan either for your phone or computer.

An easy first check is the rear abs tone rings they can crack and cause all sorts of problems.

Tone rings are fine. Have to get/borrow a scanner I guess.

Ordered a scanner. I just checked the Expl. again and noted after I backed up then started forward I heard a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the front and it would not move also the trac light came on and off. Did finally get it back in the garage. Any Idea's Who knows with the slow delivery's now days how long it will take to get the scanner.

Ordered a scanner. I just checked the Expl. again and noted after I backed up then started forward I heard a clicking noise coming from somewhere in the front and it would not move also the trac light came on and off. Did finally get it back in the garage. Any Idea's Who knows with the slow delivery's now days how long it will take to get the scanner.

It varies from a week to a month. I ordered a parts earlier last month and it tool 3 weeks for me to recieve it from California another part from nevada took two weeks and i am actually waiting on a package from new New Jersey that i ordered 4 days ago all comming to northern michigan. So yeah it varies greatly but I would expect no more that two weeks.

Also now the 4x4 light comes on , it goes out if I push the 4x4 auto button and it feels almost like the brakes are on. Strange! Could the transfer case shift motor be a problem?

Back