06 Mountaineer front grinding noise | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

06 Mountaineer front grinding noise

tlinetrader2

Reaction score
City, State
Williamsville, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Mercury Mountaineer
Hey all. New to the forum. This is my first post.

I have an 06 mountaineer AWD with 4.0 engine. After I go over a speed bump (fast or slow) I immediately get what I would describe as a grinding noise in the front end which is most noticeable when accelerating. If I take my foot off the gas and coast the noise stops. Accelerate and it comes back. The odd thing is that when I pull over, put the vehicle in park and shut off the engine, upon restart the noise is gone and I can drive normally. I can repeat this problem very consistently. I had a mechanic friend pull the DTC's and there wasn't anything that would seem to be related to this problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 06 mountaineer AWD with 4.0 engine. After I go over a speed bump (fast or slow) I immediately get what I would describe as a grinding noise in the front end which is most noticeable when accelerating. If I take my foot off the gas and coast the noise stops. Accelerate and it comes back. The odd thing is that when I pull over, put the vehicle in park and shut off the engine, upon restart the noise is gone and I can drive normally. I can repeat this problem very consistently. I had a mechanic friend pull the DTC's and there wasn't anything that would seem to be related to this problem. Any thoughts? Thanks.
I forgot to mention that the traction control light is on. However, that has been on since long before this grinding problem started and hasn't seemed to impact driveability noticeably.

Check wheel hubs.if they are still factory installed,replace the whole set

I would recommend putting it on a lift and checking everything out. Maybe even running it with the wheels up to see if you hear anything.

Thanks for the replies. Front wheel hubs have been replaced recently so thats not the problem. I feel like the computer has something to do with this since shutting of the engine and restarting makes the problem go away until the next time I drive over a speed bump.

Start from getting the exact TC light code.you will need a high speed CAN errors capable code scanner.

Medium speed CAN scanners wont show TC codes partially or at all.

Back